In this post, I will walk you through my choices for the best office chair for back pain. One thing is certain, a lot of us sit behind a desk a good chunk of the day. If you are like me, the daily grind can be taxing. All this sitting can wreak havoc on our bodies, definitely our backs. Being sedentary for most of the day can lead to tight muscles which can certainly contribute to back pain.
I have been dealing with back pain for a long time, and I know when I sit in one place for too long, my muscles tend to tighten up over time, and I get stiff. I notice myself slouching and that leads to poor posture. Unsupported sitting can absolutely lead to slouching, and that opens the door, for the pain to creep in.
Finding a great office chair is critical to our job performance and can just flat out make the day better! One thing we can do to help ourselves out is to use a chair that has support where you need it and is as comfortable as possible. If you are on a quest for a great office chair, I will do my best to help you out.
There are certain things you will want to take into account when searching for the best office chair for back pain. Chairs are pretty standard from an anatomy standpoint. The chair is made up of a backrest, seat pan (the part you sit on), armrest (some, but not all chairs have armrests), and the base (where the rollers are). See my post here about how to choose the best chair for back pain.
Backrests literally come in all shapes and sizes. Some are mesh, leather, fake leather, or some other type of material. Some chairs come with an adjustable lumbar support that is part of the backrest. This is a great feature, so you are able to customize the position of the lumbar support.
The lumbar support may adjustable vertically (up and down) or horizontally (front to back). This will allow different sizes of users, or if you are the only user, allow you to get the lumbar support just right. All of this will have to do with your personal choice.
Some chairs are equipped with armrests, and some are not. Some have adjustable armrests (up and down, front to back), some are fixed. Armrests can even be flipped up and moved out of the way, giving you have the choice of whether or not you want to use them.
The base of the chair should have five legs, with casters (rollers) for good stability and maneuverability. The base of the chair should also swivel, which adds to the maneuverability of the chair.
Personally, I believe the last thing you want is a chair that doesn’t move. I was once seated in an office cubicle with carpet. The chair in my cubicle was a standard hard plastic chair with metal armrests (if you can call them that). The chair had four legs and no wheels. What a horribly uncomfortable experience that was. I basically couldn’t move once I was seated!
Anyway, without further ado, let check out the best office chair for back pain!
Herman Miller Classic Aeron Chair
- Classic Aeron Size B provides optimal support for people 5'5" to 6'2" and 150 to 230 pounds; PostureFit supports the base of the spine for healthy posture
- Patented Pellicle woven suspension textile weaves together two unique materials with elastic properties to make the seat and backrest flexible and breathable for enhanced comfort without the need for padding or traditional upholstery
- Kinemat tilt mechanism allows the chair to move with your body; pivot points align with the hips, knees, and ankles for a natural recline motion
- The Herman Miller Classic Aeron Chair sold by Amazon.com is backed by Herman Miller's 12 year warranty and ships fully assembled.
We might as well start at the top! Herman Miller has been around for over 100 years. They are widely known for design and comfort. Yes, the chairs are expensive but are certainly worth it. The Aeron chair was originally designed by Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick. Herman Miller has used the latest technology and design to make an outstanding chair. The interesting thing about the Herman Miller Classic Aeron Chair is that it is available in 3 sizes so that you can choose just the right fit. Talk about customization! I will outline the different size options below:
- Size A is designed for someone up to 5’4″ tall and weighing up to 150 pounds (may be subject to change)
- Seat height – 14 4/5″ – 19″
- Seat depth – 15 3/4″
- Size B is designed for heights ranging from 5’5″ to 6’2″ and weighing between 150-230 pounds (may be subject to change)
- 16″ – 20 2/5″
- Seat depth – 17″
- Size C is designed for heights over 6’2″ and weighing 230-350 pounds (may be subject to change)
- Seat height – 16″ – 20 2/5
- Seat depth – 18 1/2″
All of these size options come available with PostureFit, an adjustable system that will support the sacrum and lumbar region. This technology actually mimics a standing position, which helps you stay strong as you sit. That is absolutely amazing, the technology and design that has gone into this chair. You can adjust the seat height, tilt tension, arm height, arm angle, arm depth to make this chair fit you like a glove.
The seat and back are intelligently designed with different zones of tightness. These zones help to keep your body off the frame of the chair and distribute your weight evenly. The seat and back material allows for heat to pass through and air to flow, helping to keep you cool. I don’t know about you, but I can certainly get sweaty sitting in a chair with heavy, non-breathable material.
The Aeron Chair tilt allows it to move with your body. The chair is designed to keep people in contact with the back of the chair. Tilting is easy and comfortable.
Herman Miller recommends cleaning the chair base, frame, and armrests with a soft cloth soaked in mild detergent and warm water. For the seat and back, this should be vacuumed as needed using an upholstery tool.
Anyway, Herman Miller has covered just about everything I can think of in a chair. Herman Miller understands how ergonomics has a major impact on our daily lives, and they designed this chair with that in mind, making this one of the best office chairs for back pain.
TOPSKY Mesh Computer Office Chair
- C4C-2（Chair For Comfy Series）: 1 year warranty and suitable for home office use.
- Skeletal back frame covered with high quality strength mesh, which allows air circulation all year round. Hanger on back, Solve the problem of hanging clothes, bags
- Headrest & lumbar cushion: Two ways adjustment headrest& Adjustable lumbar cushion.
- Adjustable & Soft pad armrest: Push the button on armrest, you can adjust it on a suitable height.
- High quality: High density strength mesh and Thick sponge, offers superb stability (Maximum capacity: 220 Lbs.)
TOPSKY is an up and comer, a fairly new company, but is growing. TOPSKY Mesh Computer Office Chair offers a lot of value at a comfy price. If you suffer from back pain and are on a budget, this is a great option for you.
The chair has many adjustable features, including the headrest, armrests, seat height.
The dimensions of the chair itself are:
- 26 inches wide x 24 inches deep x 45 – 49 inches tall depending on the height adjustment you prefer
The dimensions of the seat are:
- 20 inches wide x 21 inches deep and 3 inches thick
- The seat can be adjusted from 17 inches to 21.5 inches from the floor
The headrest measures 12 inches wide by 7.5 inches tall. The headrest is adjustable vertically (up and down) and rotates at an angle from 0 to 45 degrees, for just the right fit.
Armrests are 10 inches deep and 3.5 inches wide. The armrest has plenty of room and incorporates a comfortable concave design to cup your arms. The armrest is adjustable with a push button, up to 3 inches, from a starting point of 10 inches up to 13 inches high. You can adjust the armrest where it is most comfortable for you.
The back of the chair is where I believe this chair really excels. The back is made of a strong mesh material that is breathable and really offers you a lot of support. I really prefer a mesh back to the chair. I live in a warm climate, and the mesh back can prevent sweating and help to keep you cool.
Also, there is a knob that allows you to control the lumbar support. Turn it clockwise to adjust forward, and counterclockwise to adjust back. This way you can get the right amount of lumbar support that suits your body.
You can lean back and relax with adjustable tilt spring suspension allowing you to rock back and forth. This determines how tight the back of the chair is when you lean back in it. The chair weighs about 40 pounds.
Starting with the chrome base, this chair not only appealing to look at but is built to last. One other really cool feature is the back of the chair has a hanger. You can hang up a jacket, or whatever else comes to mind. It’s the little things like this that really add some extra touches.
Overall, I think this chair is designed really well and would be a great choice for you if you experience back pain while sitting during the day. Customers have been very happy with the ergonomics and are really happy with how their backs feel after sitting in this chair for extended periods of time.
The only negative I can see is that some customers have said the assembly instructions leave something to be desired.
Amazon Basics High-Back Executive Chair – Black
- Comfortable executive chair upholstered in bonded Black Leather and Pewter finish frame
- Padded Seat and Back for all day comfort and support
- Pneumatic Seat Height adjustment; 360 degree swivel; smooth rolling casters
- Maximum weight capacity 275 pounds
- BIFMA Certified
If you are in the market for an affordable, comfortable and sleek office chair, Amazon Basics has you covered with the High-Back Executive Chair. Amazon has created a fantastic office chair at a very appealing price point. One feature that I really think you will like is the fact that the chair is available in two colors. You have the option of black or brown to suit the style you are going for.
The dimensions of the chair are 29.13 inches deep x 25.59 inches wide x 45.08 inches high. The weight limit is up to 250 pounds.
I think you will really enjoy the superior padding that makes up the seat and backrest of the chair. To sit comfortably for long periods requires a chair that will keep your spine in a neutral position. The contours of the Amazon Basics High Back chair help to support your back. The chair height is adjustable with a pneumatic height adjustment, with the ability to adjust from 41.34 inches up to 45.08 inches high. You can also adjust the tension when leaning back; this will give you the ability to rock back and forth with ease.
Feel free to swivel 360 degrees! A chair that swivels is a must, especially if you are sitting for long periods. You want to have a chair that will move with you and will not limit or impede your range of motion.
The nylon casters are great for allowing you to smoothly roll across the floor. Whether it’s to the cube next door, or the conference room down the hall, you will be able to roll with confidence!
The curved armrests are not adjustable with this chair, but offer the same excellent padding as the seat and backrest. The high back is great so that you can lean back in style and comfort with this chair. The armrests are about 8 inches above the seat.
I just think this is a really sharp looking chair with the black and grey finishes, giving you a stylish, comfortable and professional chair. Also available in brown, so you are sure to find just the right one! This would be a great chair for your home office or your office office :).
One note is that the chair comes unassembled, so some assembly is required.
Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
- Our Number 1 Selling Chair
- Live Back technology that allows the back of the chair to mimic the movements of the spine
- Arms telescope in and out, move forward and back, pivot and adjust up and down so you can find a natural position that comfortably supports your needs
- Designed with the planet in mind and is up to 98% recyclable by weight and made of up to 30% recycled content
- Weight Limit-400 pounds
Steelcase has been around for over 100 years, and they know a lot about building a back-saving office chair. The company calls Grand Rapids, Michigan home.
You will absolutely love Steelcase’s #1 seller if you choose this phenomenal chair. The Leap Chair comes in a wide variety of colors to choose from, so you should have no trouble finding just the right style for you. If you are looking for a fantastic looking, ergonomic chair for your back pain, please take a good hard look at this chair.
Here is some technical “stuff.” The dimensions of the chair are as follows:
- Overall dimensions 21.75 inches to 24.75 inches Deep x 27 inches Width x 38.5 inches to 43.5 inches High
- Seat height is adjustable from 15.5 inches to 20.5 inches
- Seat depth adjustment 15.75 inches to 18.75 inches
- Seat width 19.25 inches
- Back height from seat 25 inches
- Back width 18 inches
- Arm height from seat 7 inches to 11 inches
- Distance between the armrests 12.75 inches to 20 inches
- Maximum weight is 300 pounds
- The chair weighs 48 pounds
Talk about customizable!
Everyone’s bodies are different; you can make so many different adjustments to this chair, it’s unreal. You can adjust both the seat height and the seat depth, to get just the right fit. You want to make sure the seat isn’t cutting off circulation in your legs, so it’s adjustable depending on body type.
The adjustable lumbar support fits the curve of your lower back just where you need it. One feature I think you will really like is that Steelcase integrates a LiveBack technology that mimics the movement of your spine, for ultimate back support.
And that’s not all. Since your upper and lower back require different amounts of support, you will have the ability to adjust the lower back firmness, for support of the lower back, as well as the ability to set the upper back force. This will help you determine how hard you will need to lean back in the chair in order to recline. The Leap Chair can recline 96 to 120 degrees. Your chair should support your body as you move.
The armrests are fully adjustable too. You can adjust the height, adjust them inward, outward, whatever suits your specific needs. This will help you keep your arm and shoulders comfortable throughout the day.
If you have the money to spend, this is a great option for a super supportive chair whether or not you suffer from back pain. This chair is very customizable, to support you (and your spine) in all the right places.
basyx by HON Low Back Task Chair – Mesh Computer Chair
- BREATHABLE MESH COMPUTER CHAIR: This work chair's contoured sandwich mesh seat back cushion with two layers of padding keep your body happy, supported and cool so you can concentrate on work
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: These task chairs offer excellence without expense so you can stretch your furniture dollar while working in comfort. Chair Seat : Seat Depth - Useable: 18.0 Inch. Seat Overall Depth: 18.0 Inch. Seat Width: 20.0 Inch
- ERGONOMIC ADJUSTMENTS: Let this comfortable office chair take care of your body while you work with an easy, adjustable recline and pneumatic height adjustment. Center-tilt mechanism rotates the seat from a point at the center to comfortably recline
- ON THE MOVE: Pull up to your computer desk, swivel around to collaborate with your teammate, or wheel over to the snack area for a quick break with this five-star resin base and durable wheels
- BASIC TROUBLE SHOOTING: Confirm that the cylinder is squarely mounted into the tilt mechanism, if not, remove and re-assemble. Confirm that the mechanism is mounted onto the seat pan in the proper orientation, if not, remove and re-assemble.
You will enjoy the very budget friendly aspect of this office chair. You can describe this chair as easy on the wallet without sacrificing high quality.
- Overall Depth 33.5 inches
- Overall Height 38.25 inches
- Overall Width 24.5 inches
- Back Width 20 inches
- Seat Depth 18 inches
- Seat Width 20 inches
- Maximum weight 250 pounds
The base of the chair is a black plastic finish and should fit in with just about any style. Please don’t judge this little guy by its size. , Yes it is smaller than some of the fancier models, but it really serves it’s purpose well.
The seat and back are contoured, and both are made from a breathable mesh to keep you cool. There are two layers of padding, for a very comfortable sitting experience. The waterfall edge is very stylish as well as comfortable touch.
You can adjust the tilt tension so you can play with the rate of recline and you have the ability to lock the chair in place so you can not recline at all. As you can see, the chair has no arms. The Low Back Task Chair will allow you to easily swivel 360 degrees, and roll to your hearts content on the five dual-wheeled plastic casters.
Overall, this is a very sturdy and inexpensive chair but should fit a lot of budgets and keep your back supported. This chair is easy to assemble, it should take less than 30 minutes.
LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair
- Mesh leather Office chair: ergonomic high back office chair with a breathable mesh Back and padded leather seat and head pillow, sit relaxed in a thoughtfully designed desk chair that adjusts according to your needs
- Synchro tilt tension control: simple pneumatic controls let you raise or lower your seat and rock back in your chair. Pulling out the handled right side of chair) to tilt back, push in to stop tilt. Awesome tilt tension knob underneath the seat controls the rate and ease of recline
- Built in lumbar support: large openings of mesh back create optimal breathability for better ventilation. Embedded in leather padded back support gives additional support to the lumbar area
- Solid construction: 360-degree swivel, heavy-duty nylon base and nylon smooth-rolling casters for great stability and mobility. Bifma Certification, more reliable and sturdy, maximum capacity up to 250 lbs.
- Risk free purchase: easy assembly upon Arrival, please search "lch 2001" On YouTube. Give it a chance, you will have a better life!!!
You will love this stylish, comfortable, easy-to-assemble office chair. If you sit for long hours and need solid support for your aching back, this chair may the be one for you.
- Overall Depth 25.2 inches
- Overall Height 45.7 inches (with seat raised to maximum height)
- Overall Width 24 inches
- Back Width 18.5 inches
- Backrest Height 30.3 inches
- Seat Depth 19.7 inches
- Seat Width 19.9 inches
- Seat Height is adjustable 18.3 inches to 21.3 inches
- Maximum weight is 250 pounds
This chair offers sleek and stylish black and silver finishes, that should go well in any office space, whether it’s at home or work. The thing I think you will like most about this chair is the is the comfortable seat and back support that it offers. You will love the mesh back which is breathable, comfortable, and supportive. The extra built-in lumbar support will help you maintain a neutral spine throughout the day.
The LCH High Back Mesh Office Chair comes with a padded headrest, which is a great added feature. Five legs and solid casters make the chair solid and easy to maneuver. Pneumatic controls allow you to raise and lower the height of the chair so that you can sit with your feet firmly on the floor. Additionally, the tilt tension is adjustable so you can rock back when you need to take a break. The armrests on this chair are not adjustable but will provide support for your arms and shoulders.
Overall, this is a very well priced, ergonomically designed chair that should provide you with a comfortable and supportive place to sit throughout the day. This chair will look great in any office setting and provide years of comfort. All of the tools needed for assembly are included.
Merax Portland Technical Leather Big & Tall Executive Recliner
- Outstanding Look Office Chair: A black double-layered bonded leather office chair, classic tufted design (buttons in segmented thick back pads and seat pad) for natural decorative pattern. The unique and elegant style make it extraordinary between market basic ones.
- Work as Computer Chair Cozy as Sofa: Soft high density foam in double-bonded leather for ultimate comfort. Featured with leather curved and thick padded bonded leather arm rests, double-layer padded seat cushion and back cushion to provide complete support for upper body to head and shoulders. The softness is something that few people have ever experienced before. It's extremely suitable for sedentary people.
- Height Adjustable Home/Office Chair: This ergonomic chair is fully adjustable. It comes with rock-back tilt mechanism, back pressure and height adjustor, one hand to control the height, tilt and lift for customized positioning and optimized body alignment.
- Solid Construction Work Chair: This executive chair features a heavy-duty nylon base and five swivel casters, as well as Pneumatic seat-height adjustment, which provides great stability and mobility. Weight capacity: 250 pounds.
- Silence Moving Chair: The nylon casters run very smoothly and quietly which leaves no marks, no scratches and designed to protect your hardwood floor. And you do not need to worry about bothering others when moving with the chair
The first word that comes to mind when I take a look at this chair is “Cool.” You will love the unique built-in feature this office chair has. That’s right; it doubles as a recliner. With a neatly tucked away, slide out footrest, this baby is a game changer.
This chair would have come in really handy for me after my back injury in 2015. I needed to lay down at times throughout the day while I was working, helping in my recovery. I didn’t have a chair like this and had to opt for putting my feet up on the desk. Oh, how I could have used this chair.
At first, I thought, no way, did they really make an office chair that reclines? How am I supposed to get any work done? You can take a break during your hectic day and relax for a little bit.
- Seat Depth 19 inches
- Seat Height (adjustable) 18 inches to 20 inches
- Seat Width 20 inches
- Backrest Height 29 inches
- Backrest Width 20 inches
- Maximum weight is 242 pounds
The Merax Technical Leather Big Tall Executive Recliner comes with a movable lumbar support, so you will be able to find just the right spot for your lower back to feel comfortable and reduce strain. Or you can use the lumbar cushion as a headrest if you opt to.
The seat, backrest, and arms are nicely padded for comfort all day long. The seat height is adjustable, and the chair is very sturdy for moving across carpet or tile. You will enjoy the look and feel of the Black PU leather material.
PU leather is basically leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface. This makes for a durable and easy to clean material, perfect for an office chair. The black material with a silver base makes this chair a great fit aesthetically to any office space.
The best part!
Now for the best part…the recliner. You will love this added feature and will be able to recline almost completely. The footrest is tucked neatly under the seat of the chair when not in use. When you need to take a load off, simply pull out the footrest and there you go, nap time! Okay, break time is over, back to work! The only bummer is the armrests are not adjustable with this chair, but they are padded for your arms.
The Merax office chair does need to be assembled, so it doesn’t come already put together. But, they include the tools needed to assemble.
Modway Articulate Black Mesh Office Chair
- ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR - Featuring reliable ergonomic support, Articulate comes with a breathable mesh back, passive lumbar support, and generously padded and contoured 6” thick mesh seat cushion
- RELIABLE COMFORT - Designed with productivity in mind, Articulate is perfect for everyday use. Sturdy and supportive, this executive office chair holds up to 331 lbs and comes in a variety of colors
- ADJUSTABLE SEATING - Articulate is a computer chair that easily adjusts to your needs with height adjustable armrests, one-touch chair height adjustment, 360 degree swivel, and a tilt and lock system
- OFFICE UPDATE - Refresh your office space with this versatile choice for computer desks and workstations. Enjoy mobility over carpeted or hardwood floors with five dual-wheel casters
- OFFICE CHAIR MEASUREMENTS - Product Dimensions: 26.5"L x 26"W x 34 - 39"H; Armrest Height: 27.5”H - 32"H; Backrest Height: 22"H
You will certainly enjoy this fully loaded easy-on-the-budget office chair. The things I think you will love most about this chair are the adjustable back height and seat depth. In addition, I absolutely love a mesh back chair. It lets you breathe and conforms to you back. Below are the specs on this chair.
- Overall Depth 26.5 inches
- Overall Height (adjustable) 37 inches to 41.5 inches
- Overall Width 26 inches
- Seat Depth 20 inches
- Seat Width 19 inches
- Seat Height (adjustable) 19.5 inches to 24 inches
- Backrest height 22 inches
- Cushion thickness of 6 inches
- Floor to top of the backrest (adjustable) 37 inches to 41.5 inches
- Seat to top of backrest 22 inches
- Maximum weight of 331 pounds.
- The chair itself weighs 36 pounds.
The other really cool feature of the Modway Articulate Black Mesh Office Chair is the variety of colors available to choose from. No matter what look you are going for; you are sure to find it with the colors available.
For the price point, this chair is very customizable, to allow you to fine-tune the fit just for you. I mentioned the mesh back is breathable and supportive. The seat cushion is inches thick for maximum comfort. The armrests are adjustable a full 4.5 inches in height giving you the flexibility your arms and shoulders need to be in just the right place.
You have the ability to change the seat depth, so you can make sure the seat is neither too close nor too far away from the backs of your knees. With the knob below the middle of the seat, Articulate has adjustable tilt tension that allows you to recline comfortably.
Again, available in a variety of colors, all the chairs have a black and chrome colored plastic base. Five legs with dual-casters let you glide easily over carpet.
Assembly should only take about 15 minutes, and it comes with the Allen wrench needed. No additional tools are required.
Final thoughts: The best office chair for back pain
Well, I hope to have added some value to your search for the best office chairs for back pain. Whether or not you deal with back pain (a lot of people who sit a lot do), these options should suit your needs. There are a variety of price points to choose from. Hopefully, you will be able to find one that will work well for you.