Today I am going to take a look at some cold packs for back pain. There are different ways to ice your back, and these packs work really well to target your lower back. If you are in the market for a great way to ice your lower back, please keep reading.
I have a long history of back problems, and I have used several different cold packs over the years. Some of the cold packs have been good and some not so good.
I have been using reusable ice packs for several years since I had a pretty severe back injury in 2015. I ended up with a sprained pelvis and a blown disc. I spent a LOT of time icing my lower back during my recovery.
Enough about me, let’s take a look at some of the things to look for when you are searching for a cold pack.
- Elastic straps – The ability to ice while you are on the go, or just doing things around the hose is very convenient. Elastic straps will help to keep the ice pack securely in place, but also gives you the freedom to do other things while you are icing.
- Pliable – To be useful, and ice pack needs to contour to your body when it is frozen. Most ice packs today are pliable and conform to the area that you want to ice, but just keep this in mind when you are looking for a cold pack, to make sure it will not be stiff as a board when you try to use it.
- Durable – Durability comes into play since the ice pack will be frozen and thawed out repeatedly over time. You want to make sure the cold pack will stand up to this repeated use. Also, some of these packs can be used as hot or cold packs, so they will be in the microwave and the freezer. Again, choosing a cold pack that can take a beating will serve you well in the long run.
- Stays cold – As crazy as this may sound, choosing an ice pack that actually gets and stays cold can be challenging. Some packs are thin and will not hold in the cold. Some have too much fabric and you can’t feel the cold. This, of course, is subjective and depends on each person, but something to keep in mind.
- Will not leak – I have used cold packs that have leaked out all the goo shortly after using them. Make sure you buy a high-quality ice pack that will not leak on you. This not only makes a mess but also means you have to throw away the cold pack.
That should give you a good idea what to look for when you are selecting a cold pack for back pain.
Icing is not just for injuries
Certainly, ice has been used forever after an injury, to help reduce swelling. Athletes also use ice (often an ice bath) after a competition, or a tough workout to help speed recovery. So you don’t have to be injured to use an ice pack, a lot of people use them after working out, or activities like tennis or golf, to help the lower back.
Multiple use cold packs
These cold packs are great for icing your lower back, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use them in other areas as well. You can use a cold pack for your shoulder, knee, hip, and ankle as well. With an elastic strap, you can wrap a pack around many body parts. This makes it easy to ice when you are out and about, or just doing chores around your house.
The cold pack options listed below are excellent for applying ice to your lower back. I love the elastic straps that make it easy to wrap and stay in place where you need it.
- ESSENTIAL - Reuseable Hot & Cold Gel Pack with adjustable extra long belt for all body parts. A first aid essential for home, ideal for sports injuries, swelling, muscle pains, post surgery, body aches, recovery after knee replacement, arthritis treatment, joint pain relief and more!
- REUSABLE - Can be used for BOTH warm and cold compression. The gel pack is reuseable and can be freezable while still remaining soft or heated in the microwave. Serves as an ice pack or heating pad. Perfect for any body part: Knee, Arm, Thigh, Leg, Foot, Lumbar, Cervical, Upper and Lower Back, Shoulder, Rotator Cuff, Neck, Calves, Shins, Hips and more
- FAST RELIEF, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE - Keep one handy in your fridge for a first aid icing emergency or your everyday comfort from pain. Just strap on and get the soothing relief from hot or cold therapy right away. Delivers up to 30 minutes of soothing cooling or heat relief for aches and pains
- TRUSTED - Recommended by Physical Therapists, Doctors, Sports Trainers and Chiropractors. TheraPAQ has a non-toxic gel contained in a leak-proof blue plastic pac with elastic hook-and-loop straps (gel pack size: 14" x 6")
- ORDER NOW WITH PEACE OF MIND knowing that we have a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO CATCHES! We stand above and beyond for our customers. If you're not thrilled with your purchase for any reason, just tell us and we'll refund 100% of your purchase price - anytime! IDEAL GIFT for Black Friday Deals, Cyber Monday, Prime Deal Day, Easter or Christmas
- Our pack will stay extremely cold - Our long lasting cold formula will keep your pack cold longer than any of our competitors.
- High quality neoprene strap made for easy 1 hand securing. Our strap will also give you maximum compression on your treatment area.
- Made with quality leak-proof plastic and non-toxic gel.
- Perfect for all body parts: head, shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, chest, back, waist, hip, thigh, leg, foot, knee, ankle rotator cuff, neck, and more.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY card included with your purchase
- Comfortable Pain Relief - These adjustable hot and cold packs offer therapeutic relief for myofascial, soft tissue soreness as well as stiff joints and aching muscles.
- Hot or Cold Compress - Trek Proof medical-grade gel packs are safe for the microwave and freezer to easily rotate between icing and heating injuries.
- Improved Recovery - Along with general aches and pains, our therapy pads can help reduce headaches, swelling and fevers as well as relieve menstrual cramps and sinusitis.
- Dual Pack - Every order comes complete with two body-forming ice packs so you can keep one in the freezer and one bag with your first aid kit ready to be heated up.
- Includes Comfort Strap - Trek Proof soothing therapy wraps come with an adjustable, one-size-fits-all strap that's great for men and women.
Last update on 2019-08-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Conclusion: Cold packs for back pain
Well, that about covers it. I hope you are able to find a good option that will allow you to get ice therapy where you need it most. I think you have some great choices here that will last for a long time and help you recover from whatever activities you engage in.
If you are interested in other cold packs, be sure to check out my other reviews as well.
Thank you for taking some time to stop by today. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. You can contact me directly as well.