I was recently introduced to the Elasto-Gel ice pack and I couldn’t wait to write a review about it. This review is specific to the lumbar wrap as I deal with chronic low back pain. This is no ordinary ice pack so if I have piqued your interest, please keep reading!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here for details.
I have been dealing with lower back pain for about 20 years and I am always on the lookout for products that will help me and my readers. The Elasto-Gel ice pack is an innovative product that can help if you have injured your low back, or if you want to apply a cold pack after working out.
The idea behind cold therapy is to constrict blood vessels, flush out waste, and reduce swelling and tissue breakdown. Then as tissues warm up, blood flows to the area, helping to speed up healing.
Cold therapy is not only used to help reduce swelling due to an injury, but athletes also ice (like an ice bath) after competition or working out. They will often use an ice bath, for full body recovery, but these ice packs provided localized cold therapy. ,
Sorry, that was a lot to take in, but just know that icing isn’t just for injuries.
When you are shopping for a reusable ice pack be sure to look for the following traits:
- Will not leak
- Will not stick to or burn your skin
What is Elasto-Gel?
One great thing about Elasto-Gel is the products are latex free, so people with latex issues can use these wraps. Made from a solid gel, this wrap will not leak if it is punctured and it will always be very soft and pliable.
This wrap is definitely thicker than others on the market, but it maintains its integrity and durability.
The Velcro straps hold the wrap in place, and it can be worn under clothes for hip, lower back, and abdominal pain. Given these straps, you can wear this wrap on the go! It will stay cold for about 20-40 minutes.
Hot or cold therapy
You will want to freeze the ice pack for about 2 hours before you use it. The lumbar wrap can be stored in the freezer indefinitely and believe it or not, will remain flexible even at -20 degrees F. If you do keep it in the freezer, store it in a plastic bag to keep the ice pack from taking on extra moisture.
One bonus with the Elasto-Gel ice pack is that it can also be used as a heat wrap. You can actually heat this up in a conventional oven, or a microwave. The pack will provide you with a moist heat so you don’t have to add water or use a moist towel. You never have to add water since the gel will not dry out. Be very careful though not to overheat or you can burn yourself!
- Lower back pain treatment
- Flexible hook-and-loop closures let you move freely while wearing the wrap
- Used in medical clinics worldwide to treat muscle and joint pain
- Sturdy gel padding keeps its flexibility from 250 degrees Fahrenheit down to -20 degrees
- Use the lumbar wrap as an aid with professional therapy, for minor muscle aches and pains, or for left back pain
Last update on 2019-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A word of caution
Don’t let the wrap get wet, or use it with a wet towel. This will cause the wrap to swell and you will have to let it completely air dry until you can use it again. If the ice pack is waterlogged it will need to be replaced.
The pad is available in two sizes:
- Small/medium – 24”-36” waist
- Large/XL – 36”-52” waist
It is nice to be able to clean your ice pack. Simply remove the outside cover, hand wash with mild soap and let the cover air dry. You can wipe the inner cover with a damp cloth or disinfectant. Be sure to let everything air dry completely before you use it again.
Variety of other products as well
Elasto-Gel has a wide variety of other packs available for a range of body parts. There is even an ice pack that fits over your entire head! Something like this may be helpful for folks with migraines, etc. Anyway, there are a lot of options to choose from.
- Durable, can be used repeatedly
- Will not leak if punctured
- Stays soft/pliable, even at -20 degrees F
- Microwavable and Latex-Free
- HOT/COLD THERAPY WRAP - Delivers therapeutic pain relief for recovery for sore muscles & joint pain
- HOT & COLD COMPRESSION WRAP - Uniquely designed for both hot and cold therapy treatment
- MAXIMUM HEAT TRANSFER - Formulated gel wraps ideal for moist heat therapy or soothing cold therapy
- DURABLE, REUSABLE & FLEXIBLE - Four way stretch with gel that remains soft and flexible even at -20ºF
- COMPLETE COVERAGE - Microwaveable wraps offer full body coverage for soothing relief from pain
Last update on 2019-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Designed specifically for your lower back
- Can be used for heat or cold
- Velcro straps help to keep the pack in place
- Will remain pliable even at -20F
- Some users have said it doesn’t stay cold long enough (of course this is subjective)
Conclusion: Elasto-Gel Ice Pack
This lumbar wrap is very unique in a couple of ways:
- The pack in that it can be used for heat or cold
- The wrap is designed specifically for your lower back
I think this is a product that is definitely worth a shot for people who suffer from low back problems, or who need to ice after a workout. With the wide variety of packs available, you are sure to find one that works well for you.
The Velcro straps that have been incorporated into the products are a great addition. You can use the pack while you are on the go and get great localized heat or cold.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Or feel free to contact me directly.
Thanks for stopping by today!