Looking for the best ice packs for back pain? Well, you have definitely come to the right place. In this review, I will take an in-depth look at some ice packs and tell you if they are worth your hard earned money.
I have used ice packs for lower back pain a lot over the years so I have some insight into what you should look for. A few years ago, I suffered a pretty severe injury that required a lot of icing. I had to apply ice to my lower back 5-8 times per day and I am not joking.
I sprained my SI joint and also blew a disc in my lower back as a result of some stupid things I was doing at the gym. Icing my lower back was a way to help reduce the swelling so my chiropractor could work on adjustments. That was a pretty dark time for me. I had to ice by lower back for weeks multiple times per day.
I would get up early and ice a couple of time before I went to work. Then I would ice off an on, when I got home until I went to bed. Of course, I did this in intervals, so it’s not like I was icing for hours on end.
I found the best position was to lay flat on my back with an ice pack on the floor, directly under my lower back and upper butt area. At the time, I was putting ice in a Ziploc bag and laying down on that. I quickly realized having jagged ice cubes poking into my lower back was not comfortable at all.
This is when I first bought a reusable ice pack. I own the FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack. Laying on a flat ice pack was so much more comfortable than laying on a bed of rigid ice cubes. I was looking for a really cold ice pack for back pain.
I actually bought two of them. Since I was icing a lot, I needed to make sure I had a frozen pack on hand at all times. I rotated the packs in and out of the freezer and they worked great.
If you are in the market for an ice pack for back pain, here are some things you should consider.
What to look for in an ice pack for back pain:
- Size matters – You want to find an ice pack that will sufficiently cover the area you are icing. I would even say get one that is larger than you need so you are sure to have adequate coverage. Also, you may end up needing the ice pack for other areas on your body so having adequate coverage is important.
- Pliable – Make sure you purchase an ice pack that is flexible and pliable, so you can mold it how you need it. An ice pack that is stiff as a board will not do you much good. The pack needs to be able to fit the contour of your body. One day you might use it on your back, the next you might need to wrap the pack around your knee, or shoulder.
- Long lasting – You will want to purchase an ice pack that will stay cold long enough to do you some good. Usually, 15-20 minute of ice time is good at one time, then you can toss the ice pack back in the freezer so you can use it later.
- Comfortable – An ice pack should be soft and comfortable, one that will not burn or stick to your skin. Make sure the edges are well stitched so you won’t have any rogue threading poking you in the back.
- Durable – This is key. You want an ice pack that will last a long time. I have used ice packs that started to leak after only a few uses, so finding a good quality, durable ice pack can last you for a very long time.
- Portability – This may or may not apply, but many ice packs will have elastic straps so you can wear it on the go. When I injured my back a few years ago, I had an ice pack that I was able to wrap around my waist while I was at work. You may or may not need a pack that is portable, but it’s something to think about.
One thing that I love about the ice pack that I use is that it is comfortable to lay on. The fabric material is pretty soft to the touch and does not stick to my skin at all. The edges are durable and well sewn together and don’t poke me.
Best ice packs are pliable
I love the fact that the ice pack is pliable. I have a very large ice pack and it covers a good portion of my back. When I use it, I fold it in half and tuck it under my low back. Typically when I ice, I do so for about 15 minutes at a time, so about halfway through (7 or 8 minutes), I flip the ice pack over and use the other side that has not been against my skin. The only reason I do this is that the side against my skin has warmed up and the other side is still much cooler.
I apply the ice pack directly to my skin and it never burns or sticks. I know this is not recommended, but it works for me :). I prefer a very cold ice pack for back pain and this allows me to get the area REALLY cold.
Icing your back isn’t always easy
Icing your low back is not an easy thing to do. If you do it like me, you need to carve some time out of your day when you can lay down on the floor. You can also purchase an ice pack that will wrap around your waist so you can ice while you are at work, or maybe on the commute to work. For me, finding time in my day to ice my lower back can be difficult. Of course, pain is a pretty good reminder and motivator to make time :).
Why ice anyway?
You don’t have to be injured to use an ice pack. Icing is used a way to constrict blood vessels, flush waste and reduce swelling. Then when the tissues warm up, blood flow increases to the area which promotes healing. Some athletes will soak in an ice bath after they are done working out or competing. An ice pack gives you localized therapy. 
Most of us probably don’t need to immerse ourselves in a tub full of ice, so using an ice pack for your aches and pains is a great option.
- Reusable Ice Packs for back injuries, injury recovery, training recovery, or pain relief.
- Colder For Longer: Proprietary gel stays colder for longer than competing products that use inferior bentonite formulations.
- More Flexible: The Most Flexible Cold Pack available due to a professional-grade gel interior that remains pliable when frozen, which provides better contact by conforming to any part of the body.
- Healthcare Professional's Choice: Used by thousands of Physical Therapists and other healthcare professionals to relieve acute & chronic pain, muscle pain, arthritis, menopause, inflammation, and swelling, and aid injury recovery.
- Directions: Please do not sit or stand on cold pack. Before use, after removing from freezer, place a light towel or fabric barrier between the skin and cold pack.
- Designed especially for heavy clinic use in cold therapy, choose from seven blue vinyl sizes and four black polyurethane sizes, to ensure effective cold therapy for any body area or shape
- ColPac provides effective relief of pain from cold therapy
- ColPacs filled with non-toxic silica gel that will remain pliable throughout treatment
- Delivers up to 30 minutes of cold therapy soothing relief from acute pain, swelling and fever
- One year warranty
- HEAL YOUR BODY FASTER AND NATURALLY WITH NO PAIN OR PILLS - Physiotherapists, doctors and professional athletes recommend PhysioNatural gel ice packs to achieve faster results. Researchers have proven that COLD THERAPY HELPS YOUR BODY RECOVER FASTER, is an effective treatment for pulled muscles and arthritis, and can also help reduce swelling and inflammation. PhysioNatural lets you feel comfortable and relaxed while the EFFECTIVE THERAPY kicks in. CLICK ADD TO CART with confidence.
- MINIMIZE INJURIES, INFLAMMATION AND RELIEVE PAIN – Don’t let the pain control your life. Whether you are a fitness enthusiast, working out for fun, or just doing any physical activity such as running or bicycle riding, PhysioNatural is just what you need to maintain a PAIN-FREE LIFESTYLE with MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY AND RANGE OF MOTION. What sets PhysioNatural apart is the increased amount of gel in the pack, which retains cold temperatures for much longer.
- COLD COMPRESS TREATMENT IS YOUR BEST CHOICE - Whether it's joint pain, back pain. or a swollen ankle, a PhysioNatural gel pad is the ideal treatment for any discomfort. Cold compression reduces blood flow to the affected area, which DECREASES SWELLING AND INFLAMMATION WHILE INSTANTLY EASING PAIN. Cold treatment is also recommended for post-surgery healing. Just keep the pack in the freezer for easy access.
- EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE AND FITS ALL BODY PARTS – Our ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL unique design includes a gel pad and fabric wrap to give you a more comfortable and SOFTER TOUCH, elastic straps that can be easily adjusted to keep the pouch in place, and an EXTRA-LARGE WRAP that assures a PERFECT FIT for any body part. The pad COVERS LARGE AREAS such as your shoulders, back, hips, knees, and various joints. With a PhysioNatural gel ice pack and wrap you can LIE BACK AND LET IT DO THE WORK FOR YOU.
- YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR TOP PRIORITY – We do our best to provide you with a high quality, premium product. We have so much faith in our product, that we provide a SIX MONTH WARRANTY or your MONEY BACK - NO QUESTIONS ASKED! We are sure that you will love your PhysioNatural gel pad. If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied, please contact us and we will do everything we can to make you happy! CLICK ADD TO CART with peace of mind.
- Our Back, Knee, Arm and shoulder ice pack will stay extremely cold - Our long lasting cold gel ice pack formula will keep your pack cold longer than any of our competitors.
- Gel Ice Packs for Injuries Reusable: High quality neoprene strap made for easy 1 hand securing. Our strap will also give you maximum compression on your treatment area.
- The cold packs for injuries are made with quality leak-proof plastic and non-toxic gel.
- Perfect for all body parts: head, shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, chest, waist, hip, thigh, leg, foot, knee ice pack for back, ankle rotator cuff, neck, and more.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY card included with your purchase
- Comfortable Pain Relief – These adjustable hot and cold packs offer therapeutic relief for myofascial, soft tissue soreness as well as stiff joints and aching muscles.
- Hot or Cold Compress – Trek Proof medical-grade gel packs are safe for the microwave and freezer to easily rotate between icing and heating injuries.
- Improved Recovery – Along with general aches and pains, our therapy pads can help reduce headaches, swelling and fevers as well as relieve menstrual cramps and sinusitis.
- Dual Pack – Every order comes complete with two body-forming ice packs so you can keep one in the freezer and one bag with your first aid kit ready to be heated up.
- Includes Comfort Strap – Trek Proof soothing therapy wraps come with an adjustable, one-size-fits-all strap that’s great for men and women.
- COLD MEDICAL GRADE GEL THERAPY - Ice Pack For Back Easily Wraps and Holds Around Any Back
- PATENTED FLEX GEL TECHNOLOGY - Cold Pack Lasts Longer Than All Leading Brands. Fits up to a 42" waist.
- CONFORMS TO FIT - Most Back Braces For Lower Back Pain Fail To Conform To The Backs Curvatures. Med-X Flex Gel Assures a Comfortable Fit
- LOWER BACK PAIN RELIEF - Cool Gel Therapy Greatly Reduces Inflammation, The Leading Cause Of Back Pain
- GUARANTEE - We Want You To Love Your Gel Therapy Wrap. If You Are Not 100% Satisfied, Simply Return It For a Full Refund (Even Used). There Is Zero Risk. Add One To Your Cart Now.
Conclusion: Ice packs for back pain
Using an ice pack can provide you with some back pain relief, especially after an injury. I have tried to give you several different options including large packs that will cover a large portion of you back. Some of the options fit around your waist and are great for when you are on the go and need to ice.
I hope you can find a good match, or maybe you will buy a couple of different packs so you are prepared no matter what the situation.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the space below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Feel free to contact me directly anytime as well
Thanks for taking some time to stop by today!
2 thoughts on “Best ice packs for back pain – Will ice help your bad back?”
Nice article. I really liked the tips that one should consider before buying ice packs and have aslo liked a few ice packs that you have mentioned
Keep up the good content
Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.