Today I want to talk about the TRX suspension trainer family of products. TRX suspension trainers have been around for several years and are one of my favorites suspension training options. In this TRX Review, we’ll cover how suspension trainers work, TRX exercises, where to buy a TRX and more.
- 1 About TRX Suspension Training
- 2 Working out with a TRX Suspension Trainer
- 3 TRX System components and setup
- 4 TRX Suspension Trainers
- 5 TRX Suspension Trainer review
About TRX Suspension Training
Navy SEAL Squadron Commander Randy Hetrick developed the original system using a Jiu-Jitsu belt and parachute webbing, as a way to stay in shape while in remote areas of the world. TRX has come a long way since then.
TRX training suspension system one of the most effective full-body trainers on the market. You can find suspension trainers in gyms and studios; they are also perfect for working out at home.
First, I will discuss TRX, and how you can use the bands and straps to get a full-body workout. Then, I will walk through a few of the different models that are available and discuss the component that each model includes. The different trainers work very much the same, but each model will have some different features.
Working out with a TRX Suspension Trainer
You will use the TRX Suspension Trainer with a secure elevation point, such as a door, a tree branch, a tree trunk, or beam. You want to make sure the point you are anchoring to is secure. Ideally, it is nice to have the anchor point about eight feet off the ground, but not critical.
TRX suspension training is great for core, which is something that I am very passionate about. Always looking for great ways to improve core strength, I found the TRX suspension system to provide a great workout.
Since the movements are dynamic and you have to keep yourself stable while performing these movements, you will keep your core engaged during these full-body movements.
I love training that is off balance; it really makes me focus and concentrate on the exercise at hand. This type of movement helps build not only strength but also flexibility.
No matter what your fitness level, beginner or pro athlete, you can benefit from the TRX. It makes you move your body differently than just pushing a barbell, or lifting a dumbbell. If nothing else, this will make you change up your workout and add a new element.
My experience has been very positive using the TRX Suspension Training system. One thing I would warn you, at least this is something I noticed, is grip strength. When I first started, I noticed that moving in a fluid motion from one exercise to the next; my hands didn’t get much of a break. I did notice my grip was a little weak when I started out. If your grip starts to fail a little bit, don’t worry about it, your grip will improve with time, but that is something to keep in mind.
Also, I noticed that a lot of the upper body, push, pull motions require a good amount of shoulder strength. Of course, that is the beautiful thing about the TRX system is that by just moving your body closer or further from the anchor point, you can change the resistance just like that.
So, if you are a beginner, you can have less resistance starting out, which will allow you to grow into the suspension trainer as well.
That is one thing that is so awesome about this product; it is portable, so you can take it with you wherever you go. All you need is a sturdy door, a tree, a chin-up bar on a playground, and you are good to go.
TRX Suspension Trainer exercises
There’s so many exercises that you can do with this system. You can work your upper body, lower body, back and core. The possibilities are pretty much endless for workout options.
Here’s just a few of the exercises you can do with TRX:
- Bicep curls
- Inverted Rows
- Tricep extensions
- Upright row
TRX System components and setup
Door jam – To set you TRX up using a door jam, you will use the included door anchor. The door anchor fits snugly over the top of any door. It fits right in between the top of the door itself and the door jam. You will need to make sure the door closes nice and tight.
Ideally, you want to use an exterior door that doesn’t have a hollow core. You don’t have to use a solid core door, but ideally, that is the best-case scenario. Using a hollow or solid core door depends on how much you weigh and the quality of the door.
One more thing too, you want to have the door hanger to the side where the hinges are. This is one more step to make sure the TRX is anchored nice and tight, where the door will be the strongest.
The door anchor is nicely padded, and the ribbed webbing strap goes over the top of the door so it will not damage the door. You also want to have the system set-up so that you are working out on the side of the door that closes.
If you would like to attach the trainer permanently, you can purchase the extra mounting kit and attach the trainer to the wall or ceiling.
TRX Suspension Anchor
You can use any other sturdy and tall anchor point, including a tree, or a jungle gym at your local park. The included suspension anchor allows you to wrap this thing around just about anything you want. The suspension anchor has sewn-in notches which help you get the right height for your trainer. You wrap the suspension anchor around a secure object, then attach the TRX trainer to the suspension anchor.
The TRX straps are composed of industrial-grade webbing, sewn together with a heavy gauge bonded nylon thread, which is double-stitched for strength and durability. These straps are meant to last a lifetime.
TRX straps are adjustable in length so that you can get just the right fit. Adjustable handles are also great for multiple users.
One example of adjusting the strap is when you want to use the foot cradle for an exercise, like pushups. When you are standing up straight next to the TRS straps, you would want to have the foot cradles hit at about your mid-calf. Using this guideline will give you an idea of what length you would want the straps to be, for any exercises where you are going to use the foot cradle.
The weight limit is 350 pounds for all TRX systems
TRX Exercise Bands allow you to set variable amounts of resistance for your workout. TRX says they are “perfect for low-impact training, rehabilitation, stretching and mobility.” There are four TRX Bands available, each with a different level of resistance.
|TRX Band Color||Resistance Level|
|Yellow||Extra Light (X-Lite)|
TRX Bands can be bought individually or as a complete set.
There are a couple of different styles of handles that I will get into in the product descriptions below, but the basic set up of the handles is a plastic cylinder core with an outer foam cover for a comfortable grip.
Also, the handles also have a foot cradle attached, made from the same webbing. So you have the plastic core handle for your hands, and then the foot cradle can be used for a ton of other workouts involving your core and lower body.
There is an app available as well, and you can purchase workout routines for download. They also offer options for coaching. The TRX app gives you guided exercise videos and can also connect with wearables.
There is a lot of good stuff within the app, but you can, of course, use the TRX straps without the app. The app is a way to track progress, keep you engaged and compete with your friends.
TRX Suspension Trainers
TRX All-in-One Suspension Training
What’s in the box
- TRX training strap – this is the black and yellow strap with handles that you work out with
- TRX Suspension anchor – this is what you use to anchor your straps to a tree, beam, or another object that is not a door jam
- TRX Door anchor – Of course this is what you use to anchor your TRX system to a door
- Carrying bag so you can take it with you
- Workout book and guide
- ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE: Includes TRX Suspension Training Strap, TRX Suspension Anchor, TRX Door Anchor, best-in-Class 35 page full-color TRX Workout Guide & Two Bonus Workouts - TRX Endurance Circuit and TRX Metabolic Blast
- ONE SOLUTION…MANY BENEFITS: Builds muscle, Burns Fat, Increases Endurance & Improves Flexibility
- QUICK AND EASY SETUP: Simple and easy setup allows the TRX Suspension Trainer to be set up in 60 seconds. Anchor off any door, tree branch, rafter, beam or secured elevation point
- ON THE ROAD, OR ON THE GO: Get professional results anywhere, any time. The TRX Training Suspension Trainer Basic Kit with Anchor is portable and convenient for travel
- THE TRX MANIFESTO: As the leaders in functional training, we aim empower you in your pursuit of better. We've developed the world's best training equipment, workout programs, and education courses to help you achieve a better version of yourself
TRX Pro 3 Suspension Training Kit
What’s in the box:
- TRX training strap – The straps are super strong and durable and are super easy to adjust and lock tightly in place.
- TRX Door anchor – Use this to hang the suspension trainer on a door in your house, or even a hotel when you are traveling.
- Carrying bag
- Xtender – This will help with high or wide anchor points. The extender is a nice added feature not included in the basic kit
- The carabiner is really beefy.
- The equalizer loop, which is the common point where the two straps meet has been reinforced, so it will last a long time
A couple of things that set this trainer apart from the Basic Kit are the handles, which are antimicrobial, textured handles. There are three anchoring solutions, which include the door anchor, suspension anchor and Xtender which extends the trainer when using high or wide anchor points, like a giant tree branch.
- Tested By The Best - TRX’s PRO3 Suspension Trainer System helps you create intense full-body workouts anytime, anywhere. The PRO3 System is used by Professional Trainers, Pro Athletes, Olympians, and Fitness Pros worldwide.
- Our Most Complete Training System. Features the PRO3 Suspension Trainer, 3 Suspension Anchors, Durable Textured Rubber Grip Handles, Padded Foot Cradles
- Results Matter - TRX gives you the ability to realize your potential and achieve all your fitness goals. Build Muscle, Burn Fat, Increase Endurance & Improve Flexibility. You set the bar, and TRX will help you get there!
- Safety-Tested – TRX is safety-tested to support bodyweight up to 350 pounds of body weight and over 900 pounds of resistance. TRX has been used for over 10 years by the US Military, Pro Sports teams and world-class athletes worldwide.
- Highest Quality - Our TRX PRO3 Suspension Trainer is made with the highest grade webbing, extra-durable components, and commercial grade materials.
TRX GO Suspension Trainer Kit
What’s in the box:
- TRX training strap
- TRX Door anchor
- TRX Suspension Anchor
- Carrying bag
A lighter-weight version with all the functionality of the other trainers listed, the Go suspension trainer is a great option.
- Our lightest most convenient travel trainer. TRX’s GO Suspension Trainer Kit helps you create intense full-body workouts anytime, anywhere. Includes Suspension Training Strap, Indoor/Outdoor Anchors, 2 Workout Guides, Training Poster & Mesh Bag.
- Incredible results in just 20 minutes. TRX gives you the power to hit fitness goals at home and on the go. Our digital workouts teach you EASY Core Strengthening Exercises that Build Muscle, Burn Fat, Increase Endurance & Improve Flexibility—making you Train, Look & Rapidly-Feel like a Powerful Professional Athlete now.
- Movement-based training at your own pace. is TRX's Training Philosophy. Learn, Practice & Master 7 Simple Foundational Moves that everyone can do. Push, Pull, Plank, Squat, Lunge, Hinge & Rotate to Achieve Your Dream Body Fast. Then hit next-level intensity by creating limitless workout variations you crush at your own pace.
- Train everywhere. TRX anchors to any door, rafter, beam, tree, pole or post in seconds that supports 350 lbs. Weighing only one pound, our GO Suspension Trainer Kit travels Light & Fast—giving you freedom to Master Our Patented Suspension Training Method in the comfort of your home or even while traveling!
- One pound wonder - Includes Suspension Training Strap, Indoor/Outdoor Anchors, 2 Workout Guides, Training Poster & Mesh Carry Bag. TRX GO is the perfect Home Gym solution without needing a lot of space or extra gear.
TRX Suspension Trainer review
There are several different options to choose from when it comes to TRX training suspension systems. Each of the trainers is similar in functionality but includes a few more bells and whistles depending on how much you want to spend. I think the All-In-One trainer is a good entry-level option, but I like the extra features that the Basic Kit provides. The Pro version is just a little beefier all around and includes the Xtender.
- Suspension training is a great way to work your entire body
- Portable so you can take it with you
- Come with the door hanger
- You can use this indoors or outdoors
- Easy to setup
- Improve flexibility, strength, and stability
- Perfect for all fitness levels, beginner to professional athlete
- At first, I noticed my grip strength needs to improve
- It will take some time to get used to the motions and how to flow from one exercise to the next
- If you are a powerlifter or enjoy lifting insanely heavy weights, this might not be for you
Ready to take the challenge and start training in a different and very effective way. Check out all the TRX Suspension Training options and pick the one that is right for your workout needs.
TRX Suspension Trainer