Home gym accessories
It can take quite a bit of time and effort to build the perfect home gym. From configuring your space to finding the right exercise equipment and weights, to creating a system to keep everything organized and clean, there is some work that goes into it.
So once you conquer all of that, what’s next? The answer is finding the right accessories that will help upgrade your workouts without breaking the bank. In this post, we’ll break down our best unique home gym accessories that are on the low end of typical price ranges for gear.
We’ll start with a few assumptions. When recommending these pieces of home gym equipment, we are assuming that you already have the basics like a swiss ball, some type of weights, equipment for basic lifts like squats, deadlifts, pullups, etc.
We’re sharing our favorite items for supplementing what you already have to upgrade your gym. These are the often overlooked items that can be the difference between a basic setup and an elite strength training facility at home. We’ve even included a few items you wouldn’t expect. Hint: listening to your most motivating playlist is a must!
- 1 Home gym accessories
- 2 Strength Training Accessories
- 3 Home Gym Cardio Accessories
- 4 Core Exercise Accessories
- 5 Other Great Home Gym Accessories
- 6 What to look for in home gym accessories
- 7 Where to buy home gym accessories
Strength Training Accessories
While most of us aren’t gymnasts, there is still a ton of benefit that you can get from training with rings. They are great to turn simple exercises like rows or pullups into much more challenging exercises on your core. They also can introduce more advanced movements like muscle ups or dips that will challenge your body in a way that other equipment won’t.
- BEST RATED GYM RINGS ON THE MARKET; Includes 2 Gymnastic Rings with straps and adjusting buckles; The rings are made of textured, grippable PC Plastic (to reduce slippage associated with sweaty hands)which is stronger, more durable and of higher quality material then ABS plastic rings and are capable of supporting up to 2,000 lbs making them the best quality gymnastics rings on the market
- TAKES 5 MINUTES TO SET UP, USE AND ADJUST providing you with a great home gym substitute
- UNLIMITED BODY WEIGHT EXERCISES; Ring training is a very mobile and versatile way to engage your muscles and core with exercises such as pullups, pushups, dips, rows, muscle ups for a functional and varied free range of movement; Great for kids to use in the backyard and for avid exercise lovers to use in the gym or anywhere they can safely hang them
- THE PROPER WAY TO INSTALL THE STRAPS is to go from underneath the buckle and slide the straps in the same direction the arrow on the buckle is pointing to; Note where the arrow points on the buckle for proper installation; Proper installation will ensure that your straps will be secure and non slip
- DEVELOP the aesthetically pleasing physique of a gymnast while strengthening your core, tendons, joints and accessory muscles
Sandbag Training Weight Bag
Great for exercises from carries to deadlifts to overhead presses and power cleans, these sandbags are one of the more versatile training tools that you can buy. They come in weights ranging from 10-40 lbs and are great for use in high-intensity interval training, or as a finisher to get an extra burn at the end of a workout. The unorthodox shape will challenge your entire body in ways that other, more traditional gym equipment won’t hit.
- Develop power and explosiveness
- Great for strength building throughout body
- Four weight bags included – must be filled with a high density material, like sand
- Maximum weight of 40 lbs
- Durable outer shells for long lasting use
There is not a huge difference in terms of which resistance bands you are choosing, but you should definitely have a set in your gym. They are great to use for hitting smaller muscle groups that may not typically get enough attention (think face pulls, shoulder exercises or lightweight stretching). The thing we like about this particular set is that it comes with a full range of resistance levels as well as different attachments for multiple types of exercises.
- High end exercise bands. Our 12″ by 2″ heavy duty loop resistance bands come in 5 varying resistance levels. This makes them perfect whether you are just starting to workout or a seasoned workout warrior. Our extra light and light bands are great for beginners, while our medium, heavy and extra heavy exercise bands are targeted for more intermediate and advanced strength training.
- Great with any workout. This resistance band set can be integrated seamlessly with various popular workout program. Or use them for general exercise, stretching, strength training, power weight programs. The included carry bag makes it easy to take your bands with you and do any workout away from home or your home gym.
- Multiple uses. While these resistance bands are often used for sports and fitness, physical therapists love these physical therapy bands (rehab bands) to help them rehabilitate their patients. Our stretch bands work for people suffering from leg, knee and back injuries. They are also perfect for use by women after pregnancy and birth to keep their bodies in shape.
- Superior quality. All of our exercise resistance bands are thoroughly tested before we ship them out to you. This ensures your bands are easy on skin and will provide you with a worry free experience. The instruction booklet includes dozens of different illustrated exercises that demonstrate how to use our resistance bands for legs, arms, back, shoulders, ankles, hips and stomach.
- What you get: Five exercise bands with color-coded resistance levels, portable travel carry bag and instruction guide.
You may already have multiple ways to work your upper body in your home gym, but adding one of the simplest, yet most reliable pieces of low cost gym equipment is never a bad idea. The perfect pushup has been around for years and is still my favorite pushup accessory to challenge your chest, shoulders and back with different angles.
- Pushup stand Designed to rotate slightly, engaging more muscles and increasing strength and definition in arms, shoulders, chest, back and abs
- Ergonomic grips help distribute weight evenly, reducing pressure points and joint strain on wrists and elbows
- Built to last construction with smooth rotation and steel ball bearing system; Treads on bottom of handles Securely grip all floor surfaces
- Weight Vest Ready, 400 Pound weight Capacity; also called the Perfect V2 Pushup
- Dimensions: 10 inches x 8.25 inches x 6.2 inches; weight: 4 pounds
Perfect Pull Up
You may already have a pull-up solution as part of your gym, but if you don’t, this is a great low-cost option. You don’t have to drill or mount anything and can move it around the house as needed. I often keep mine hanging in the doorway above my office and do five pull-ups each time I walk in or out. For your home gym, this is the least invasive pull-up solution and is more reliable than some of the no-name alternatives.
- Portable gym that can be used as a doorway pull up bar or turned over to perform sit-ups, pushups, and dips; 300 pound weight capacity
- Handles for 2 grip options: normal or hammer grip pull-ups; padded handles ensure comfort for sit-ups, pushups and dips
- Turn over and place on the floor for sit-ups, pushups and dips; padded handles ensure correct form, and provide comfort
- Rubberized door frame guard and adjustable height; fits door frames 27 inches to 35 inches wide
- Assembled dimensions: 12 x 36.5 x 11 inches, weight: 6.2 pounds; manufacturer's one year warranty
The medieval weapon look can make a steel mace a little bit intimidating, but it is one of the more versatile full body fitness tools out there. As the steel mace has become more popular, there are great workout flows from fitness instructors and influencers that build strength, mobility and cardio at the same time. These come in a lot of different weights, but something in the 20 pound range should be good for most people.
- HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION: This mace bell is made from commercial-quality steel, which makes it sturdy and indestructible to last for a long time. The head is fully welded and attached securely to the handle, so there is no chance of any part of it breaking apart no matter how hard you swing.
- SECURE AND STRONG GRIP: The handle design allows you to get a good grip without any possibility of it slipping from your hand. This portion is knurled at the middle and near the end for a more comfortable and safer grip as you handle the mace bell.
- DESIGNED FOR PERFORMANCE: The weighted head and long length of the steel mace bell are balanced to give you a more intensive core training and rotational movement exercises. Choose from 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35-pound maces to suit your fitness level and build functional strength one swing at a time.
- TOTAL BODY WORKOUT: Whether you're at home or in the gym, this all-steel mace bell can give you an ultimate workout session. It enhances your dexterity, grip strength, muscular power, speed, and endurance as you work your different muscle groups with every move.
- BEST VALUE: Heavy duty design meets great pricing to create an impressively durable mace that gives you the best bang for your buck. Equip your home gym without breaking the bank or skimping on quality by clicking ‘Add to Cart’ now!
Home Gym Cardio Accessories
Speed Jump Rope
Whether you want to use it as a warm up, a finisher, or mix in speed rope or double-unders to a circuit training session, a jump rope should be a staple in a garage gym. This particular rope is high quality enough that you won’t have to replace it, but it’s also a speed rope, so it’s great for any type of jumprope workout that you may be doing.
- Cut Seconds or Even Minutes Off Your WOD Times : This jump rope is not only fast but also creates a very stable rope swing so you can easily recover from inaccurate swings
- Stop Doing Singles When Everyone Else is Doing Doubles : After customizing this speed jump rope with a quick snip of a wire cutter you will be on your way to stringing together multiple double unders
- Get In The Best Shape Of Your Life : We designed this speed rope to not only spin fast but last a long time. If used regularly you will be in the best shape of your life!
- Great For At-Home Workouts Too : This rope is really all you ned to stay fit and healthy when working out at home.
- For Use On Smooth Surfaces Only : Like all steel cable jump ropes, this rope should only be used on a smooth gym surface. Do not use on cement or asphalt as the rough surface will destroy the coating on the cable.
Battle ropes could probably also fall into the category of strength training, but once you go through a couple minutes with these, you’ll definitely be thinking cardio. There are a ton of different workouts that you can do to tax your anaerobic system with battle ropes. They are easy to store and quick to set up each time you need them. I go with the Amazon Basics version because once you have a rope that is thick and heavy enough, there aren’t a lot of other factors that matter.
When trying to save space, the Powermax Grip Ball Set is a great option. They work as both a kettlebell and a medicine ball, so you can use them for all types of core, strength and cardio fitness routines. They are durable enough to drop and will last forever.
Core Exercise Accessories
It’s easy to clutter a home gym up with equipment, especially when it comes to core exercises. By the time you add a stability ball, a medicine ball, and any type of specialized crunch, sit-up or back extension equipment, space can be hard to come by. I love these exercise sliders because they can give you a number of different core-challenging movements and they don’t take up any space.
- Designed with double sided gliding discs, our workout sliders easily slide on most floor types
- These core sliders are easy to use and perfect for building strength in your abdominal muscles
- Built for athletes at any level of training, these gliders for exercising engage all muscles
- Great for effective low-impact workouts, our strength slides keep pressure off the knees and ankles
- The exercise sliders are lightweight and compact for travel; You never have to skip a workout again
Another all-star in the small space, high impact category, the AbMat is a classic for core fitness. It’s subtle looking, but provides a good cushion for your back when doing core exercises. More importantly, it extends your range of motion to get a full workout for your entire abdominal muscle group (including your lower back).
- Slightly more firm than AbMat Regular
- Offers a full range of motion
- Works the entire abdominal muscle group
- A safe, comfortable design
This pretty self-explanatory. Regardless of the type of flooring that you are working with in your space, at some point, you’re going to do a workout on the floor. Whether it’s yoga, core exercises, pushups, or simple stretching, a yoga mat will come in handy. This is the most basic version that I’ve used and it’s high quality enough that you won’t know a difference between this and the expensive ones.
- Extra thick mat for yoga, gym, and everyday exercise
- Textured foam construction provides traction and stability
- 1/2 inch thick mat provides extra support, shock-absorption, and comfort
- Elastic straps secure rolled-up mat; includes shoulder strap for easy carrying
- Please check the mat will not slip on the floor before using
If you are planning on doing any type of mat exercises for longer than a few minutes, you will want to keep your surface from turning into a puddle of sweat. This basic yoga towel will cover your mat to give you some additional cushioning, while also keeping your gym clean, tidy and safe.
- SUPER SOFT & ABSORBENT - The BEST yoga towel for those sweaty sessions of bikram / hot yoga where you need to absorb your sweat to stay in pose and balanced.
- PERFECT FIT & PREMIUM QUALITY - This high quality, odorless, durable, non-slip microfiber towel is perfectly sized (72" x 26") to place on top of any regular and XL sized yoga mat.
- MULTI-PURPOSE - Bring it everywhere! It’s super lightweight, easy to pack, and dries fast - perfect for pilates, exercise classes, the gym, showering, camping, travel, beach, and more!
- EASY MACHINE WASH & DRY - Wash and dry separately first, then it’s fine to throw in with the rest of your laundry so you’ll always have a clean towel for your next class!
- 100% YOGI HAPPINESS & SAVINGS GUARANTEE - Not satisfied with your Yoga Mate experience? Simply contact customer service and get a full refund!
Other Great Home Gym Accessories
We mentioned it earlier; music can have a dramatic effect on your workout. Every home gym needs a good audio solution, and we think a Bluetooth speaker is the way to go. While it’s on the pricier side, we’ve picked Bose’s SoundLink Resolve plus for what other bluetooth speakers lack: incredible sound and long battery life.
The Revolve+ has a 360 degree listening field, meaning wherever you can be sure it will reach every corner of your home gym. And, the lithium ion battery can last up to 16 hours. And, while you won’t be working out that long, that means you won’t be charging it that often and you it’ll get far more use than just in your home gym, too.
- Delivers deep, loud, jaw dropping sound with True 360 degree coverage
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Flexible fabric handle makes it easy to grab and go; seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
- Enjoy up to 16 hours of play time from a long-lasting, rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts allows you to easily take calls and access your phone’s virtual assistant — hands free
Dry Erase White Board
This is an often overlooked home gym item, but one that you will wish you had after a few weeks of your workouts. If you are doing any type of planned workout, especially anything timed or high intensity, you want to be able to see and remember what’s next.
Stopping to check your phone or a small piece of paper between workouts is not ideal. This white board one is a foot and a half by two feet, which is big enough to see from anywhere in your gym. You can mount it on a wall or move it around. It’s a cheap item, but well worth it.
- Highly durable magnetic dry erase board for writing on with dry erase markers in meetings, presentations, and more
- Smooth surface wipes clean easily; never stains or ghosts
- Classic silver aluminum frame can match any decoration; ABS plastic rounded corners are drop-proof
- Easy installation with the included mounting accessories, vertical or horizontal installation
- Contains 1 whiteboard marker, 2 magnets, 1 pen tray
Any large timer will work, but this is the mack daddy of them all. This timer can do intervals, stopwatch, countdown, Tabata workouts and more. It comes with a remote, but it only works from about 5 feet away, so I don’t end up using mine all that much. Regardless, the size, easy-to-read display and ability to time any type of stretch or exercise is enough to make this an essential home gym accessory.
- This timer is perfect for small gyms. There are tons of features on this Crossfit Timer Clock, numerous options for tabata workouts/ count down/ count up/ Stop watch and many more. No matter you are doing a basic interval workouts or a professional crossfit, even MMA or boxing, it's perfect for keeping track of exercise time. When not using it for training purposes, it also keeps great time as an attractive digital clock;
- With this multi-functional Interval Crossfit Timer, you can creat 10 training periods and 9 training time & rest time under each period. Countdown/up supports count of 99 minutes 59 seconds at most, simply customize your start time or stop time and it will run automatically just by clicking on "Start" button. The digital clock function allows you to display the time in 12(H1) or 24(H2) format display. One-click to count up stopwatch function makes you start your timing efficiently;
- With bright & high contrast LED numbers, you can easily read across your garage gym. 8 levels dimmable brightness allow you adjust to your preference easily by remote control. When using this handy remote control, you can just point it directly at the clock, and through which you can perform all ettings and start/stop all functions of the clock. You will find setups are easily made for interval training, clock and countdown/up once you read through the use's manual properly.
- Alarm sound and 10 secs prep time are available for FGB,tabata,countdown/up and customized interval timing. We advice you keep your music lower volume in order to get a clear sound from your SPORT TIMER while doing your interval workouts. 10 seconds prep. The fitness timer comes with brackets that allows you easily hang the clock on a wall, or even on the top of a shelf in your gym. With 5ft(1.5m) power cord in length, you can put anywhere in your gym an outlet is available.
For strictly plyometric exercises, a standard wood box will work. The great thing about the Rep Fitness Foam Soft Plyo Box is that is is sturdy enough for box jumps, step-ups, and other plyometric exercises, but is soft enough to use for stretching. There are a number of great physical therapy and mobility workouts that you can find online for getting deep stretches using a box like this. They aren’t cheap, but their versatility in your garage gym can provide a lot of value for the space that it takes up.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: (1) 24" high soft plyo box. Every soft plyo box is 28" x 28" in length and width for a wide, stable base. At 89 lbs, this plyo box is heavier and more stable than the competitor's.
- SAFE AND STABLE: Protect your shins and joints by jumping onto a soft, impact-absorbing surface. Unlike similar products on the market, our boxes are heavier and therefore more stable and tip-resistant. Allow yourself and your members/athletes to perform plyometric exercises more safely.
- BUILD STRENGTH AND POWER: Perfect for all sorts of plyometric box and HIIT exercises. Whether you're doing pushups, dips, box jumps, step ups, box squats, or negative jumps, it'll do the job. We designed these boxes to perform optimally for all modern Cross Training workouts.
- CHOOSE YOUR SIZE: Each box has a heavy-duty vinyl cover with velcro flaps on 4 sides for safe, stable stacking, cross-stitched handles, and sizes clearly printed on 2 sides for easy identification. Use them as standalone platforms, or stack them up to get the right height for you and your athletes.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: Rep Fitness is a full-service equipment company based in Denver, Colorado. We carry a complete line of strength and conditioning equipment including benches, barbells, dumbbells, racks, cardio equipment and more!
What to look for in home gym accessories
When buying home gym accessories (or equipment for that matter), it is important to keep a few factors in mind. In most cases, you will already have your main equipment like weights, bars, benches or a squat rack that take up most of the space and allow you to do most of your exercises. Once you get into accessories, you want to find items that will add multiple types of supplemental workouts without sacrificing anything for your overall gym build. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Space: The size of the equipment and how easily it is stored is crucial. Buying accessories that you will use consistently, but can be easily stored without taking up space will always be a win.
- Versatility: Specialized workout equipment is great, especially if you are focused on strengthening a specific muscle or muscle group. However, equipment that only allows you to do one exercise can take up more space than it’s worth. Accessories like resistance bands, a steel mace or gymnastics rings take up very little space, but also allow you to do dozens of different movements.
- Price: When building a gym, you will likely have a set budget. Most of that budget should go to the few large pieces of equipment that you will use most often for your workouts. Be sure that you have covered the basics before you start adding on accessories.
- Quality: This should be on the list two or three times. I can’t tell you how many times I have opted for a cheaper piece of equipment, then had to replace it later because it broke, wore out, or couldn’t fulfill it’s intended use. When comparing products, always look at reviews to make sure that it’s strong enough for what you’re doing and it will last over time.
- Appearance: This is a little bit vain, but when we put in all of this time and effort to build our paradise of a gym, we want to feel good in the space. The aesthetic value of the items in the space can actually impact the way you feel when you walk into your gym. Simple things like consistent color schemes, matching weights, or visually similar accessories can make you feel great the moment that you walk into your gym, which leads to a happier and more productive workout.
Where to buy home gym accessories
There are literally hundreds of stores that carry this type of equipment. A lot of home or garage gym items can also be built (think plyo boxes, battle ropes, etc.). Purchasing from the right stores can ensure that you are choosing from the right selection, getting high quality, and getting a long enough return or warranty period so you won’t have to go back and repurchase items. Here are a few of our favorite stores for purchasing gym accessories:
- Amazon: Obvious, but they have just about everything and you can gather a ton of information from the hundreds or thousands of reviews on products. Be sure to check shipping times and search for reputable sellers before ordering so you can receive your items quickly and know that you are getting what you expect.
- Bowflex: Most of us know them from the early days with their massive total gym machines, but they now offer a ton of great gym equipment and accessories. Everything from weights to specialized workout accessories can be found here and it’s all high quality that will last over time.
- Rogue Fitness: These guys are known for their popularity in the CrossFit space, but they now offer an amazing variety of items including those that they manufacture as well as other people’s items. Everything from weights to mobility equipment to recovery can be found on their site.
Those three retailers will be able to cover just about any item that you can think of. If you are looking for more specialized home gym accessories, I would first check the website of the manufacturer, then look at local retailers. Purchasing second hand is always an option too, but make sure that the equipment is clean and in good shape before taking the time and effort to coordinate a meetup.
I hope that this list of home gym accessories has helped you to round out your perfect iron paradise or home studio. If you have any gear that has really helped you take your training to the next level, drop it in the comments below and we’ll add it to the list if we missed it. Happy training!