Looking for the best back pain patches to provide you with some much-needed pain relief? There are a lot of products on the market, so I have taken the task of sorting through some of the pain relief patches available. If you suffer from back pain, as I do, please keep reading and I will help you find a patch that works for you.
I have included a variety of patches, which work for a lot of different people. There are a ton of options available so I hope you will find one here that works well.
As with any type of pain relief product, these may or may not work for everyone. My experience is that everyone is different and some treatments work and some don’t.
Temporary pain relief
Many people swear by pain relief patches for acute and chronic back pain. I have used many different patches with varying results myself, and I think it’s worth a shot to give it a try.
The thing I love about patches is you can wear them when you are out and about. You don’t have to stop your life to get some pain relief. Sure these are a temporary fix, but they can sure help you bridge the gap and get on with your life.
These patches are portable and easy to apply, so you can keep them in your gym bag, or take them when you are on vacation. You don’t have to be connected to a power outlet to get the pain-relief you so badly want or need.
Smells are subjective
A common problem that people have with medicated patches is the smell. I can tell you that this is definitely different for everyone. Yes, some patches have a strong odor, but hopefully, the pain relief is worth the smell.
Some people are very unfazed by the smell, so it’s completely up to the individual. Reading through the customer reviews, one person will say the odor is strong and someone else will say it barely has an odor. Everyone is different, so that is what it is.
Don’t expect a miracle
Don’t expect these to fix your back pain, or cure you, these back pain patches are designed for temporary pain relief. As a guy who has dealt with a lot of back pain in my life, I can tell you that some pain relief is better than no pain relief!
How long do these patches work?
For some people, they work for a long time, for others a short amount of time, for others not at all. This is pretty dependent upon the individual. I have used patches in the past that stayed warm for hours and hours, but never really got hot.
I have tried other medicated patches that are not designed to get hot, but more of a targeted numbing effect and the pain relief lasted for several hours.
Most products will say they are designed to last a certain number of hours, but different people have different results. I can tell you that in general, you should probably expect somewhere in the neighborhood of about 4-8 hours of use.
With that said, let’s get on with it already!
Best Back Pain Patches
Icy Hot Medicated Patches
Icy Hot is a trusted name when it comes to pain relief and these patches can help to relieve not only backaches but muscle strains, cramps and provide arthritis relief. The patches are designed to help stop pain where it starts.
You will love how comfortable these adhesive patches are and BONUS…they can provide pain relief for up to 8 hours. That can really help you get through the workday! The great thing about Icy Hot patches is you can wear them under clothing and no one will know you are using a patch.
These patches are large and feel like cloth, so they are pretty darn comfortable to wear and you will not smell like a medicine cabinet when you use them. You can wear them to bed and feel the pain relief while you are sleeping.
The Icy Hot patches are available in three sizes so you can find just the one for your needs. Also, these patches will not stain your clothes and will stay in place. I think that is an important point to make, you want a patch that will not slide around because that does not help you.
These patches from Icy Hot offer some great low back pain relief so you can get on with your life.
- No medicine cabinet smell
- You can wear them under clothing
- Will stay in place
- Some people say they don’t stick well
- INCLUDES: Three (3) 5-count boxes of Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relief Patches for backs and large areas.
- STOPS PAIN AT THE SOURCE: Icy Hot pain relief patches help temporarily relieve minor pains associated with back pain, muscle pain, arthritis pain, sprains, bruises & muscle cramps.
- LONG-LASTING PAIN RELIEF: These large pain relief patches provide extra strength pain relief and can be worn up to eight.
- NO MESS: Icy Hot Medicated Patches are mess-free, easy to apply and comfortably stay in place for hours.
- AMERICA'S TOPICAL PAIN RELIEVER: Icy Hot is the number-one topical pain relief brand among OTC topical analgesics.
Salonpas Lidocaine 4% Patch
These Salonpas patches are somewhat different in that they do not heat up like other pain relieving patches do. With lidocaine, the patch will actually act to numb the area instead of heating up to provide pain relief.
These are less expensive than prescription pads you can buy but may not last as long. As for over-the-counter lidocaine patches, you will find these offer good pain relief and are one of the best back pain patches available.
The patches are simple to apply and are stretchable in all directions. Rounded corners help with better adhesion than other patches on the market. You can expect the patch to last for about 4-6 hours.
From Salonpas patches, you can expect great pain relief with a very competitive price point. It does take a little bit of time for the patches to take effect, plan on about 30 minutes before you feel some pain relief.
At the end of the day, these patches are a cheaper alternative to prescription patches and you might just want to give them a try. Many customers say these work as well as 5% lidocaine patches.
- Available in multiple sizes and quantities
- Easy application
- No messy gels
- A few people say these patches do not stick well
- GEL PATCH: Get numbing relief from one of Salonpas' most popular patches. The LIDOCAINE Pain Relieving Gel-Patch uses hydro-gel based technology plus 4% Lidocaine to provide numbing relief
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH: With the highest percentage of Lidocaine available without a prescription, this unscented gel patch helps desensitize aggravated nerves & provide numbing relief
- TARGETED RELIEF: Provides temporary relief of pain & stiffness associated with sore back, neck, wrist, ankle, hip, shoulder, knee & elbow. Help alleviate muscle soreness, backache, joint pain & sprains
- LONG-LASTING: For penetrating, mess-free & targeted relief, apply spray or patch to manage pain in specific areas. Salonpas pain relieving patches & sprays offer pain relief for up to 8 hours
- SOOTHE YOUR PAIN: With pain relief patches, sprays, creams, gels & liquids, Salonpas is here to help you get through your day with discreet, easy-to-use, topical pain relief for temporary relief of aches & pains
ThermaCare Lower Back and Hip Therapy Wraps
ThermaCare wraps use heat to accelerate healing and relieve pain. These are not like other ointments, patches or rubs that are designed to mask the pain. I have used these in the past and I am surprised by how hot they can get.
These heat wraps send the heat into your sore, or injured muscles to increase blood flow to the area. This, in turn, helps to rebuild tissue that has been damaged, and promote healing.
ThermaCare wraps are air activated and are designed for one-time use. You can expect the heat wrap to work for up to 8 hours and they also say it will continue to work for 8 more hours.
These wraps are odor free and are designed to stay in place. They are designed so you can wear them on the go, the wraps fit discretely under your clothing. You can be confident in the comfort and flexibility these heat wraps will give you. If you are headed out in public and need pain relieving heat, ThermaCare heat wraps are definitely worth a shot. You don’t have to be tied to a power outlet using a heating pad with these, you can go out and take the heat with you.
You can purchase these heat wraps in a variety of size and use them interchangeably.
- Can be worn discretely
- Provide long lasting heat for pain relief
- Come in a variety of sizes
- Customers have very positive reviews
- Some people have been confused by packaging and sizing
Tiger Balm Pain Relieving Patch
This is an effective patch, with an interesting name! Designed to provide localized relief for hours, the folks at Tiger Balm have put together a patch that provides proven pain relief. There is a lot of pain relief packed in this patch, making this one of the best back pain patches.
These patches are easy to use, will not stain your clothes. Yes, they do emit some odor, but it’s not too bad, and is certainly worth the pain relief is worth it. Be sure you change them out after a few hours to keep your pain relief going. They will work for several hours and then start to lose effectiveness. You don’t want to re-use them either.
You will love the short-term pain relief these patches provide. Overall I think these are very effective and there are a lot of positive customer reviews as well.
Tiger Balm patches work a little differently in that they do not get hot like other products on the market. These work to target the pain relief and are great when you are on the go. These pads fit nicely under your clothes so you can wear them to work, or when you are out and about running errands or whatever you need to be doing.
Many people use these for chronic back pain problems. Again, this is not meant to cure your pain, but when you deal with chronic pain, as I do, any pain relief is good pain relief.
- Long lasting
- Lots of positive customer reviews
- Some people don’t like the odor
- Long lasting proven pain relief formula
- Includes points of interest information
Conclusion: Best Back Pain Patches
If you have read this far, I am sure you have a good idea which patch will work best for you. If you are interested in temporary back pain relief, I encourage you to try one of these patches. Any pain relief is good pain relief in my book.
If your problems persist, or you have a history of back pain, you might want to check in with your doctor as well. These patches can provide pain relief, but getting to the source of the pain and fixing that is the best option.