Thank you for checking out my FlexiKold gel ice pack review. I have been using this ice pack for several years now due to back injuries. If you are looking for a great ice pack please continue reading and I will share my experience and why I think this ice pack is awesome.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Click here for details.
First a little background
I first started using these ice packs when I suffered a pretty severe back injury late 2015. I have been dealing with back problems for many years. In December 2015 I was doing things at the gym that a guy with back problems shouldn’t be doing. Anyway, I tend to learn the hard way LOL.
Long story short, I ended up with a sprained SI joint and a blown disc in my back. I went to a chiropractor who had me icing my lower back about 5-8 times per day to get the swelling to subside. I kid you not I was icing constantly, in intervals of course.
I found that the best position for me to ice my lower back, was to have an ice pack on the floor, and I would lay right on top of the ice. This allowed me to really get the area of my low back and upper butt icy cold.
The problem was I started by using a Ziploc full of ice cubes and water. This worked okay, but I really didn’t enjoy having ice cubes poking me in the back. Mind you I was icing for weeks, so I needed to find a better solution. Plus I was using all the ice in the house!
What to look for with a reusable gel ice pack:
- Pliable – The ice pack needs to be pliable, so it will fit the contours of your body. I used the ice pack for my lower back, but you might be using this for your shoulder, knees, or other parts of your body. An ice pack that is pliable is key to getting the job done right.
- Size – Make sure your ice pack will adequately cover the area you need it to cover. You never know if you will use the ice pack on other parts of your body, so consider that as well. If you sprained your ankle, they make smaller ice packs to fit. If you need to cover a larger area, keep that in mind.
- Durable – I tried a few other brands before I bought the FlexiKold ice pack and they started leaking after just a few uses. This is not cool (no pun intended). The gel filling leaked on my floor and of course, the ice pack is pretty much useless at that point. So durability is a key ingredient to a quality ice pack.
- Stays cold – An ice pack is only good if it is icy cold. Some brands will not stay cold very long and when you are icing for 15-20 minutes, you want the pack to remain cold throughout. Some other packs I tried were too thin and just didn’t last very long. You ice pack needs to be cold!
- Freezes fast – One of my criteria was an ice pack that would freeze fast, so I could use it again. When I was icing up to 8 times per day, I needed to turn this ice pack around quickly so I had to freeze quickly.
- Soft – As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t like ice in a Ziploc bag because it would impale my back when I was laying on it. I wanted a gel pack that would be soft on my tender little body. Okay, my body is neither tender nor little, that was just for fun! Soft to the touch makes an ice pack all the better.
- Won’t burn or stick – Not much explanation needed here!
- Good stitching – This goes back to the leaking part a moment ago. A quality stitched ice pack will hold all the good stuff and not leak all over your floor. Look for a reusable ice pack with a high-quality stitch job.
FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack
When I was searching for a reusable ice pack I wanted one that was large enough to cover my entire lower back area. I didn’t want to miss any area when I was icing and wanted to make sure I was sufficiently covering my lower back.
I purchased the XL or oversize FlexiKold model and I am glad I did. This model is 13” x 21.5” so it’s pretty big. When I ice my lower back, I fold the ice pack in half and it fits nicely under my low back. This pack is very pliable (meets criteria above) so it folds easy and forms to my body. I ice for about 7 minutes, then I flip the pack over and ice for another 7 or 8 minutes.
- MONEY-SAVING 2 PACK: Also see our famous Single Pack and 3 additional cold pack sizes.
- COLDER FOR LONGER: Proprietary gel ice pack stays colder for Longer than competing products that use inferior bentonite formulations.
- MORE FLEXIBLE: The Most Flexible Cold Pack available due to the best professional-grade gel interior that remains pliable when frozen, which provides better contact by conforming to any part of the body.
- HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL'S CHOICE: Used by thousands of Physical Therapists and other healthcare professionals for cold therapy to aid acute & chronic pain, muscle pain, arthritis, inflammation, swelling, menopause-related hot flashes, and injury recovery.
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Double sealed to prevent leaking; with extra thick nylon exterior. Washable and reusable.
Last update on 2019-06-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The reason I flip the ice pack over is that the side that is against my skin is now not as cold as the other half. Yes, this ice pack lasts a good amount of time but will lose its cool (LOL) after some point. This method works really well for me.
I also apply the ice pack directly to my skin, and it does not burn or stick.
Variety of sizes
This ice pack comes in a variety of sizes; small, XL and even one designed specifically for your neck.
- Very soft and pliable
- Won’t burn or stick to you
- Stays cold
- Does not leak
- Would be nice if it had elastic straps
Conclusion: FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack
I actually ended up buying two of these ice packs and I always keep at least one in the freezer at all times. I am very happy with this reusable ice pack and I think you will be too.
If you are in the market for an excellent, reusable gel ice pack, I highly recommend the FlexiKold in whatever size you need.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments, I will get back to you as soon as I can.
You are always welcome to contact me directly as well.
Thanks for taking some time to stop by today!