I have a confession to make, I sleep with a body pillow for back pain. There it is, the cat is out of the bag! But seriously, this is something new for me and I can’t believe it took me such a long time to get over the fact that I am a man, and I need a body pillow.
Back problems have been my nemesis for about 20 years now and it’s just been the past few years that I have found some products to help. A body pillow is definitely right up there as one of my favorite products for back pain.
If you think about it, sleep is so essential to functioning on a daily basis, and if there is some way for me to get a better night of sleep, I am all for it. Sleeping with a body pillow has taken me a little getting used to, but now I love it.
Choosing the right body pillow
These are the factors I look for:
- Firm – The pillow should be firm but not too firm. You don’t want it to break down quickly
- Supportive – You need a pillow that will support your body weight
- Big – A body pillow that is too small for you kind of defeats the purpose
- Durable – Of course, a pillow that will last a long time would be ideal
Below are some of the body pillows I recommend, and I have labeled the one that I own, and happens to be my top choice, the Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow. Such a manly name too!
Best body pillow recommendations
- Full Body Companion: These body pillows for adults provide premium quality and cozy comfort. Pregnancy pillows that are great for cuddling!
- Memory Foam: This long pillow for bed contains shredded foam that helps support all side and back sleepers. Its conforming shape and buoyancy allows your back, hips, knees, legs and feet to remain in the in correct alignment throughout the night.
- Comfort: A perfect balance of fluffy and firm, these body pillows for sleeping are made for everyone
- Kool-Flow Tech: It is a big pillow that will lull you away while keeping you cool on hot nights using its luxurious, extra-breathable micro-vented cover!
- High-Quality Fabric: Each of big pillows is covered in a soft, luxurious, extra-breatheable bamboo cover and has GreenGuard Gold Certification
- Unique design and ergonomic,the U shaped body pillow lets you get a good night of sleep throughout your pregnancy. It's uniquely designed to follow the shape of the pregnancy mom but good for any one,long enough for you to stretch out and support for both back and front
- Density and extra comfortable,this unique without smelling provides comfort for side sleeping and retains fluffiness for better performance and longer use
- Comfort and support,Now available with uniquely designed to follow the shape of the pregnancy mom, and big "U" shaped maternity support pillow for sleeping at home
- Pain Relief for a Comfortable Sleep,This maternity body pillow creates support position for sleeping, reading, nursing, watching TV therefore,this pillow can provide better sleep. A favorite for expecting mothers and people suffering from hip or back pain, fibromyalgia, sciatica, poor posture, athletes, people in physical therapy or recovering from an injury, and anyone looking to get better sleep
- Customer Pleased,Our goal is for you to be completely satisfied,material is available adapts to your needs for comfort
- THE ULTIMATE PREGNANCY PILLOW - C-shaped body pillow design replaces need for multiple bed pillows, helping support your back, hips, knees, neck and head.
- MULTIPURPOSE MATERNITY PILLOW - Adjustable polyfill material adapts to your belly and back when you want to sleep, read, nurse, or watch TV
- 3rd TRIMESTER PAINS? Our full body pregnancy pillow can help ease you into a better sleep, reducing interruptions throughout the night and helping relieve back pain associated with pregnancy
- MORE THAN JUST A PILLOW FOR PREGNANT WOMEN - This full body pillow is perfect for ANYONE needing more support, recovering from surgery, or tired of having to use separate pillows to support their head, neck, legs, and back
- Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty Designed in California 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
Fining my body pillow: trial and error
I have tried all kinds of different pillows including regular sized pillows that you sleep on, my wife’s big decorative pillows too. Nothing really gave me the comfort and support I was so desperately in need of. That’s when I bit the bullet and bought a giant body pillow. I can tell you I think it’s worth the investment if you suffer from back pain.
What is a body pillow?
I am glad you asked. This is a giant pillow that you snuggle up with at night. Many body pillows are as long as people are tall, thus the term body pillow.
A body pillow is great for side sleepers who want a comfortable night of sleep. You can snuggle up to this behemoth, wrap your legs around it and this helps to keep your spine aligned while you sleep. A body pillow can be great for people who suffer from lower back pain like me.
Shapes, size, materials
There are a lot of body pillows available, in a variety of sizes and materials. You will need to find the right one for you, whether that is hypoallergenic, bamboo, or both, there are a lot of models available for everyone to choose from.
Benefits of sleeping with a body pillow for back pain
The main reason to use a body pillow is for support. I use a body pillow every night, and it provides me with a lot of support for the right side of my body. My right side is the bad side for me when it comes to back problems, this is where sciatic nerve pain shoots down my leg. I regularly sleep with a body pillow and it helps to support my hips and keeps my spine neutral.
When I am laying on my side, I bend my knees and put the pillow between my legs, it sure makes a big difference for me. When I was going through spinal stenosis in 2016, the only way to sleep was curled up in the fetal position, and a body pillow worked wonders, let me tell you.
I also like the fact that the body pillow provides a barrier between my wife and I LOL. She is a very restless sleeper, so with the pillow between us, I can still get a solid night of sleep. My wife does tend to get a little bit jealous and refers to my body pillow as “competition”.
I sleep better with a body pillow
Now that I have been using a body pillow for a while, I can attest to the fact that I sleep better. My wife and I were in the market for a new mattress, but I think this pillow may have done the trick. A body pillow was much cheaper than a new mattress for me.
Way more comfortable
Having a quality body pillow is way more comfortable than just putting a standard pillow between your legs, or at least for me it is. I also prefer this to the between the knees wedge pillow, but again everyone is different.
I sleep on top of it sometimes
I don’t know why, but I love to lay on my stomach on top of the body pillow, with my feet dangling off the end of the bed. This is contrary to what a lot of people say and think about sleeping with back pain. The general consensus is that sleeping on your stomach is bad for back pain.
I think with a body pillow, I have enough support under my pelvis that this works for me. Maybe I am just an oddball (been called worse) but this is a very comfortable position for me. Okay, maybe that was more than you wanted to know, but there it is my little secret.
Conclusion: Body pillow for back pain
If you have trouble sleeping due to back pain, I urge you to give a body pillow a try. I have found my pillow to be very comfortable and it helps me sleep better. Make sure you buy a pillow that is big enough for you and will provide adequate comfort and support.
A lot of people are in my same situation and they just don’t know what will help, so I highly recommend a body pillow. You might just thank me for it.