In this post, we will take a look at the best home exercise equipment in 2020. If you are like a lot of people, the New Year brings resolutions, like getting in shape. With that in mind, we will cover a variety of different exercise equipment that you can use at home.
If you are building a home gym or just want to be able to exercise when it’s convenient for you, then you might want to consider home exercise equipment. A new year brings new equipment and innovations, so that’s the purpose of this article, to outline the best home exercise equipment in 2020.
If you have struggled with the idea of a home gym because you think it requires a dedicated basement, or garage, or a whole lot of money, I am here to help.
I own many of the items on this list and can attest that you can get a great workout in the comfort of your own home, no matter what your budget. Oh, and you don’t need to have a ton of room either.
This article will give you an idea of things you can buy for working out at home, in no particular order. I am providing insights into the best home exercise equipment in 2020. You certainly don’t have to buy everything in this article, unless, of course, you want to.
Whatever your exercise goals are, to tone up, or improve your overall fitness level, we got you covered. Later on, we will discuss the benefits of working out at home and how to choose the right equipment.
- 1 Best home exercise equipment in 2020
- 1.1 Bowflex SelectTech adjustable weight dumbbells
- 1.2 Bowflex SelectTech Workout Bench
- 1.3 TRX Suspension Training Straps
- 1.4 Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro
- 1.5 Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE
- 1.6 Ikonfitness Pull Up Bar
- 1.7 Rogue Fitness Resistance bands
- 1.8 Bowflex Max Total
- 1.9 Weighted Jump Rope by Pulse
- 1.10 Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell
- 1.11 TriggerPoint GRID foam roller
- 1.12 DYNAPRO Exercise Ball
- 2 Benefits of working out at home
- 3 How to choose the best home exercise equipment in 2020
- 4 Conclusion: Best home exercise equipment in 2020
With that said, let’s get to it.
Best home exercise equipment in 2020
Bowflex SelectTech adjustable weight dumbbells
Bowflex has been in the home fitness game for many, many years. They are a trusted leader in the industry.
Adjustable weight dumbbells are a great addition to an existing home gym or a fantastic way to start your home gym. You don’t need heavy racks of dumbbells; you can save a lot of space with SelectTech.
This is what makes adjustable weight dumbbells such a great item for any home gym, they save so much space over having racks of standard dumbbells.
Bowflex adjustable weight dumbbells are versatile and offer you a wide variety of exercise options when it comes to working out at home. Pair these with a weight bench (see below), and you can get a great workout.
There are three models of adjustable weight dumbbells and one kettlebell in the SelectTech family.
The three models of dumbbells include:
- Bowflex SelectTech 1090 (up to 90 pounds)
- Bowflex SelectTech 560 (up to 60 pounds)
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 (up to 52 pounds)
Each dumbbell model varies in the weight range offered and the incremental weight settings. For instance, the SelectTech 1090 has a weight range of 10-90 pounds, and each dumbbell adjusts in five-pound increments.
There are different models for people with varying levels of fitness and goals.
If kettlebells are your jam, The Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell adjusts from 8 to 40 pounds. You don’t need to keep multiple kettlebells on hand with this adjustable weight model.
You can read my complete review on Bowflex SelectTech adjustable weight dumbbells for more information. Or click on the link below.
- Adjustable weight dumbbells can replace an entire rack of dumbbells
- Easy to use
- Extremely versatile
- May not be enough weight for some users
Bowflex SelectTech Workout Bench
I mentioned earlier that pairing a weight bench with adjustable weight dumbbells is a great way to build a home gym. You can perform a wide variety of exercises to get a full-body workout. SelectTech is squarely on the list of the best home exercise equipment for 2020.
Bowflex has three models of adjustable workout benches to choose from:
Each Bowflex weight bench is customizable and adjusts to different positions, including; incline, flat, and decline. The SelectTech weight benches are equipped with wheels so you can quickly move them around. These models also come with a removable leg hold-down brace for added decline support.
These adjustable benches are easy to use, and you can move between incline, decline, and flat in a matter of seconds. There is no loosening or tightening screws.
To move the seat position, you just pull the release handle and adjust the seat. You can move the backrest up and down as needed.
An adjustable workout bench is a fantastic piece of equipment for a home gym. They are versatile and can be used with other things, like dumbbells for a full-body workout.
- Easy to adjust
- Variety of angles
- Assembly required
Check out the complete line of Bowflex SelectTech Benches below.
TRX Suspension Training Straps
For a full-body workout at home (or anywhere else for that matter), TRX gives you complete bodyweight training. You can literally take the suspension training straps with you anywhere.
Take them to a hotel if you are traveling or exercise outdoors or at a park. All you need is a post, pole, door, tree, etc. to attach the suspension trainer to (something overhead).
With TRX, you have a complete gym anywhere and anytime you need it. TRX Suspension Training is lightweight, easy to pack, and is very strong and durable.
TRX comes with a single anchor point, which gives you easy setup and versatility. Integrated handles and foot cradles are designed for floor-based and standing exercises.
There are three models available:
- TRX Go
- TRX Pro 3
- TRX All-In-One
TRX is a great way to build muscles, improve stability, and flexibility, and you can apply as much resistance as you like. TRX is great for all fitness levels, beginner to fitness junkies.
TRX is a functional and versatile piece of home exercise equipment. You can take it with you wherever you go. It also comes with a very extensive workout guide to get you started.
- Easy to set up and use
- Not great if you want to build a lot of mass
For more information, you can check out my complete TRX review here.
Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro
This is an extremely popular ab wheel, with a unique design. The ultra-wide wheel gives you a solid base so you won’t feel like you are going to fall over, like other wheels out there. The thing that makes this wheel so unique is the internal spring system that adds resistance and assistance.
The spring increases the resistance as you roll out and gives you a little help on the way back. The spring mechanism helps you engage muscles more thoroughly. I own the Ab Carver Pro and use it regularly.
Most ab wheels only allow you to roll straight out and straight back. The Ab Carver Pro wheel design will enable you to go straight as well as pivot left and right, which engages more muscles.
Using an Ab Carver Pro is not just for your abs, though. If you have ever used an ab wheel, any ab wheel, you know that you engage the upper body and core muscles. These compound movements give you more calorie burn than traditional sit-ups or planks.
If you are new to ab wheels, here is one tip to help you get started. Start out using a wall as your stopping point. Using an ab wheel takes more core and upper body strength than you might realize.
By starting with smaller movements, you can get the hang of it. Then as you gain strength, you can increase your distance from the wall. Pretty soon, you will be rolling out fully extended.
- Easy to use
- Ultra-wide wheel
- Requires upper body strength
For more information, you can read my complete review here.
- Ultra-wide ab roller with built-in resistance and ergonomic handles to help maximize results of ab roll-out exercises
- Interior kinetic engine uses a carbon steel spring to provide resistance and amplify abdominal and arm workout
- Ultra-wide wheel tread offers stability when carving left, right or center for targeted work on obliques
- Ergonomic hand grips are angled to activate arm and core muscles; handles are removable for easy storage and transport
Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE
This popular all-in-one machine from Bowflex comes with 210 pounds of resistance and is upgradable to 410 pounds. This unit packs a lot of punch and gives you over 70 exercises to perform.
The angled lat bar gives you perfect lat pulldowns, and the included leg extension is fantastic for your quads.
What makes this home gym unique is that you don’t have to mess around or waste time changing cables when you move from one exercise to the next. The no-change cable pulley system lets you move from one exercise to another seamlessly. This system gives you a much more efficient workout.
Since the Xtreme 2 SE is upright, it takes up less room and gives you a gym-quality workout at home. This unit is more compact than a lot of all-in-ones on the market. You can get a safe, efficient, and effective workout with this machine.
The seat is easy to adjust, and the machine also comes with an Ab Crunch Shoulder Harness. If you are looking for an all-in-one home gym, give the Xtreme 2 SE a look.
- Extremely versatile
- Over 70 exercises
- May not be enough weight for some people
You can read my complete review for more information. Or, if you are interested in purchasing one of your own, click the link below.
Ikonfitness Pull Up Bar
This well-designed pull-up bar is more than meets the eye. This comfortable, easy to use (and install) model gives you multiple workout options. You can target your chest, back, shoulders even abs and legs with this all-in-one unit.
With specially designed fixed points, you don’t have to worry about this pull-up bar coming loose or falling off during your workout. This unit will fit most standard door frames.
Exercises you can perform include:
- Pull-ups and variations (wide-grip, close-grip, etc.)
- Tarzan pull-ups, something you can’t do with all doorway pull-up bars
- Leg lifts
- Oblique twists
Take the unit out of the doorway and use it on the floor for:
- Pushups and variations (wide, close-grip, etc.)
- Tricep dips
This model can support up to 440 pounds, but make sure your doorway can handle that as well. It also folds flat for secure storage. The Ikonfitness Pull up Bar is versatile, easy to use, and is a piece of home exercise equipment.
- You have to assemble it
Rogue Fitness Resistance bands
Don’t discount the effectiveness of using exercise bands. Aren’t we really talking about an oversized rubber band? The short answer is “No.”
This is a low impact way to exercise, and they are friendly on your joints. If you haven’t used resistance bands, you are missing out.
Resistance bands give you a low-cost, affordable, easy to take with you, and I almost forgot, versatile piece of home exercise equipment. You can literally take bands with you anywhere you go.
Resistance bands from Rogue Fitness come in “Monster” and “Shorty Monster.” I own both models. The Monster bands are 41 inches long. When you add the Rogue Door Strap, you can do exercises like banded rows, lat pulldowns, etc.
Shorty bands are 12 inches and excellent for things like glute bridges, stretching, and agility drills.
You can buy either of these bands in pairs or individually. Resistance bands are a great accessory to a home gym or an excellent way to get a workout when you are in a crunch for time. Just don’t overlook the power of resistance bands.
- High-quality resistance bands
- Variety of sizes available
- More expensive than other brands
Bowflex Max Total
If you are looking for a machine that can give you a great workout in the comfort of your own home, look no further than Max Total from Bowflex.
This is the newest member of the Bowflex Max Trainer series and is quite possibly the best one yet. Max Total gives you a great full-body workout very efficiently.
Think of Max Total as a cross between a stepper and an elliptical machine, which provides you with a no-impact workout. You get the climbing action of a stepper with the smooth gliding motion of an elliptical machine.
Max is quiet and smooth and has a small footprint. The upright design helps to take up less space than a treadmill or even an elliptical machine.
This machine is incredible with its low impact nature, sleek design, built-in touch screen display (so you can access your favorite shows). There are plenty of workouts to keep you engaged and help you meet your fitness goals.
- Full body workout
- Space-saving design
For more information on Max Total, be sure to read my complete review.
If you are interested in purchasing your own, please click the link below and you will be directed to the Bowflex website.
Weighted Jump Rope by Pulse
Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise. Adding a weighted jump rope to the mix is a great calorie burner. You will not only get your heart rate up with a weighted jump rope, but you should feel an awesome burn in your arms as well.
Honestly, using a weighted jump rope is a great full-body exercise. I mentioned the cardio aspect, you will also feel this in your upper body. A weighted jump rope is an excellent piece of home exercise equipment to add to your arsenal.
With this model, the handles are made of foam and are, of course, weighted. The total weight of the rope is about 1.2 pounds. The ball bearing construction ensures that the operation is smooth and tangle-free.
With the included instructions, you can easily adjust the length of the rope to fit you. Feel free to use this rope inside or outside. This is a simple jump rope that will yield excellent results. You will get a good workout without breaking the bank.
- Great for cardio and strength
- Takes time to get used to a weighted jump rope
- ✅ 1 YEAR WARRANTY- If ever there is an issue, contact us for a replacement free of charge.
- ✅ SIZE ADJUSTABLE - Recommended for anyone 6ft 6in and shorter. Easily adjustable jumprope from 10ft down to your desired length within seconds! Jump ropes come with easy to understand instructions.
- ✅ SMOOTH & TANGLE FREE - Our high quality thicker (7mm) rope allows for a smooth rotation & the ball bearings in the handles ensure a tangle free jumping experience.
- ✅ HOLD COMFORTABLY - Ergonomically designed weighted memory foam handles offer extra comfort while also preventing palm sweat and providing a firm grip. Weights in jump rope handles are removable.
- ✅ PERFECT FOR - At home or at gym Fitness workouts, cardio training, Jumping Exercise, Cross fit, Skipping, MMA, Boxing, speed training, calves, thigh and forearm strengthening, leg training and endurance training. Jump rope for men makes a great gift for men and women.
Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell
If you haven’t worked out with kettlebells, you are missing out. Kettlebells are one of my favorite tools to use. I love the off-balance nature of working out with kettlebells.
The SelectTech 840 Kettlebell from Bowflex offers a little bit different approach in that it is an adjustable weight kettlebell. The weight range adjusts from 8 to 40 pounds in various increments. This one kettlebell can replace 6 standard kettlebells, which is a huge space saver.
All you do is turn the dial and select the weight you want to use. You can quickly increase or decrease the amount of weight you are using, depending on the exercise. Kettlebells are very versatile and give you a great full-body workout.
Kettlebells are great for improving mobility and adding core strength. You can incorporate cardio and strength training at the same time. There are so many different workout options when you use kettlebells. This is one reason I like them, it keeps me from getting bored with standard routines.
Bowflex gives you a complete library of exercises to do, and you can learn how to use them correctly.
For more information, click on the link below. Because of the versatility, Bowflex Kettlebells definitely make the list of best home exercise equipment in 2020.
- All in one workout option
- Takes some time to learn how to use kettlebells properly
Click below for more information, or pricing.
TriggerPoint GRID foam roller
A significant part of any fitness routine is incorporating a foam roller. If you have time, you can use a foam roller before and after your workout for great results. You can check out my post here for the benefits of using a foam roller.
There are a lot of options when it comes to a foam roller, and it can be a challenge to choose one. I have used the GRID foam roller for a while now, and I think it’s an excellent option for a lot of people.
What I like about GRID is that it is an excellent roller, and it will hold its shape over time. The hollow core is sturdy, and the foam surface has different textures for a variety of massage options. There are knobs (pointy parts) that are good for digging in deep and flat areas suitable for overall rolling.
You can use this roller on hard surfaces and carpet alike. The roller is compact enough to take with you to the gym, or when you travel. One tip is that you can pack your stuff in and around the hollow core.
TriggerPoint has a variety of different rollers, including some that are much more firm and even some vibrating foam rollers. GRID is an excellent and reliable option for many of you exercisers out there.
- Durable foam roller
- Great overall roller
- May not be firm enough for some people
- IMPROVE MUSCLE RECOVERY – Multi-density GRID features a three-dimensional surface that provides more efficient muscle recovery by promoting tissue aeration as you roll, while promoting the flow of blood and oxygen for optimal muscle recovery
- OPTIMIZED FOR COMFORT – Unique foam construction with proprietary Distrodensity Zones is perfect to use on both tight, sore muscles, as well as soft tissue, for a more effective recovery experience
- PERSONALIZED ROLLING EXPERIENCE – Multi-density GRID pattern of varying ridges and nodules replicate the feeling of a massage therapist's hands, allowing users to utilize different areas of the roller to target key body parts
- DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE – EVA-foam-wrapped, hollow core design is firmer than traditional foam rollers, delivering a deeper compression-like a sports massage on tight muscles, knots, and kinks to achieve comfortable, effective, and targeted muscle recovery
- BUILT FOR FREQUENT USE – Durable EVA-foam roller maintains its shape without breaking—even after repeated use—allowing you to use the same roll-intensive recovery patterns massage therapists use for highly effective recovery
DYNAPRO Exercise Ball
Using an exercise ball is a great way to add variety to your fitness routine. If you haven’t used one before, you should give it a shot. The off-balance nature of an exercise ball really helps you to improve balance, all while getting a great workout.
The DYNAPRO Exercise Ball inflates quickly and can support up to 2,000 pounds of weight. There are a variety of size options and colors available. The ball has a matte surface, which helps to prevent slipping.
You can pair an exercise ball with other equipment, like dumbbells or exercise bands and improve core strength and get a full-body workout.
Exercise balls are easy on your body and can help improve strength and mobility. They are also very versatile, and you can perform a ton of exercise with them.
If you add a base, you can use this exercise ball for sitting at your desk, home, or work. Exercise balls are very versatile and give you a lot of exercise options. Versatility helps this exercise ball make the list of best home exercise equipment in 2020.
- Versatile exercise ball
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Might be hard to pick the right size
- BUILT TO LAST: Get a quick start on optimizing your health. Every box we ship contains an Exercise Ball that inflates using the hand pump that goes with it. Within minutes, you can use it as a stability ball in any kind of fitness training such as yoga or Pilates, or as a desk chair to correct your posture and support your back when you work.
- MADE FROM 100% RECYCLED MATERIAL: Our stability balls have a superior anti-burst material with a thickness of 2275 micrometers which delivers a greater degree of resistance to sharp objects on the floor or on your clothing that may come in contact with the ball.
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI-BURST RATING CAN MATCH ANY HEAVYWEIGHT: Our Exercise Ball is manufactured using gym quality standards. When used properly, it can carry the stress of heavy loads up to 2200 lbs without popping to prevent you from being injured. Excess loads above this weight will cause the ball to deflate slowly to ensure your safety.
- NON-SLIP RIBBED BODY STAYS PUT WITH SKIN CONTACT: The PVC body has a matte surface with horizontal ribs contoured all around it -- making it easy to hold without slipping while tossing, bouncing or squeezing the ball even with profuse sweat.
- FOUR SIZE OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMFORT AND SAFETY: 45cm, 55cm, 65cm, 75cm Not sure which is the right size for you? Our size guide helps you determine which size Exercise Ball best matches your intended use based on your body height if used for exercise, and the desk height if used as a chair.
Benefits of working out at home
Workout when you want to
You probably know how busy and overcrowded gyms can get. Going to the gym right after work is when most people tend to go. Needless to say, the gym can get really busy. People are always using whatever equipment you want to use, and they aren’t always great at sharing.
If you wait until the crowds thin out, you take the risk of not going at all because it’s late and you are tired. If you are like me, you have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. Meaning that if I wait too long, I will just not work out at all, I miss my window.
One of the great things about working out at home is you can work out when you want to. You don’t have to wait for the crowds to thin at the gym. Working out when you want to is a considerable benefit to exercising at home.
If you are a morning person, which I am not, you can get up and workout before you get your day started. Some people I know LOVE working out in the morning. Maybe after work or evening is your thing, you have the freedom to exercise then as well. The point is you can work out on your schedule when it’s convenient for you.
Saves you money
Gym memberships can get really expensive, and working out at home can save you some dough in the long run. Sure, you have to make the initial investment when you buy home exercise equipment, but you don’t have to pay month after month after month. Oh, and did I mention those sign-up fees that you don’t have to pay?
You also save money on gas by not driving to the gym, which also saves you time.
Saves you time
Along with saving money on gas by not driving to the gym, you save time as well by working out at home. I once frequented a gym that was about a 10-15 minute drive from my house.
Making this round trip drive cost me 20-30 minutes. Working out at home could have helped me save a lot of time. Those 20-30 minutes could have been used to exercise instead of driving. That equates to about half of my workout time, spent in the car.
Other benefits to working out at home
No longer do you have to circle the parking lot looking for a place to park. You don’t have to finish your workout and make a visit to the crowded and potentially dirty locker room.
Some people don’t feel the need to wear any clothes in the locker room, and I don’t really even want to get into that discussion. Anyway, working out at home can provide tremendous benefits.
So, yeah, there are definitely benefits to working out at home, saving time, money, working out when you want to, etc.
How to choose the best home exercise equipment in 2020
There are several things to consider when you are scoping out the possibility of working out at home, so let’s get into that now.
Probably the most crucial aspect of deciding what equipment you will need is dependent on your goals (losing weight, building muscle, etc.). If your goal is to increase your cardio level, a machine like Bowflex Max Total is a great option. If you want an excellent full-body workout, the Xtreme 2 SE might be for you.
Also, you can accomplish a lot with some dumbbells and a weight bench. Pairing many of the products in this review can help you achieve your fitness goals.
After you set your goals, you will have a much better idea of what you will need to buy so you can achieve your goals.
Define your budget
Unless money grows on trees, you probably have a budget you are dealing with. Many of the items in this post are not super expensive, but some will definitely lighten your wallet.
Keeping a budget in mind is essential in choosing the right exercise equipment. You want to be able to buy exercise equipment that will help you reach your goals, but not buy cheap stuff that you will have to replace often. There can be a fine line when setting a budget.
In some cases, like with Bowflex, you can finance a more significant purchase. Sometimes there will even be a free financing option. Anyway, there are options, and sticking to your budget is a crucial factor when buying home exercise equipment.
You want to consider purchasing equipment that you can use for multiple exercise combinations. As I mentioned before, you can perform a lot of different exercises using a weight bench and dumbbells.
The Bowflex Xtreme 2 Se offers you over 70 exercise options. TRX straps give you a lot of workout options as well. So choosing versatile equipment that will allow you to work multiple muscle groups is essential.
How much space do you have?
Of course, you will need enough space to store your equipment and do your workout. Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells save you a lot of space and can eliminate a whole rack of traditional dumbbells. TRX training straps can be easily stored away.
For more significant pieces of equipment, you will need to make sure you have adequate space.
Conclusion: Best home exercise equipment in 2020
There is a lot of information in this post, and I know it can be overwhelming. There are a lot of options when it comes to buying exercise equipment for home workouts.
An excellent place to start is to define your goals and set a budget. When you figure out what you want to accomplish from a fitness standpoint, you will have a much better idea of what equipment you will need.
If you want to tone up, lose some weight, or improve balance and flexibility, you can do it all at home. You don’t need to pay month after month for a gym membership you may not even use. Getting fit at home gives you the freedom to work out whenever you want to.
You don’t need to have a dedicated wing on your house to get a great workout at home, either. You can accomplish a lot in a small area.